W208 - Help me identify the limit switch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smile

Car
'02 W208 CLK Convertble
Hi everyone, and happy new year!

A few days ago I decided to test the convertible roof on my CLK as I haven't used it for a while. Sure enough it went down fine, but on the way back up it stops at the point where the metal cover should close.

Searching on this forum it sounds like my 'bow ram limit switch' is broken/faulty. Unfortunately there are no pictures, and I'm having trouble identifying it. So I've taken some pictures and circled what I think is the bow ram limit switch.

Can you take a look and let me know if I'm right?

These first two pictures were taken with the roof up as far as I could get it. Aka the final stage before the metal cover should close. I think this is the top of the switch which is meant to be clipped to something but has pulled loose.
2013-12-30%2015.37.42.jpg

2013-12-30%2015.37.49.jpg

These next two pics are with the roof down.
2013-12-30%2015.49.21.jpg

close-up - you can see the plastic connector looks a bit frayed/bent here. Could this be the bit that's supposed to slide?
2013-12-30%2015.49.37.jpg

For anyone else reading this with similar problems, this thread was really useful : http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/bodywork/104037-w208-convertible-roof-problem.html

Just following up on this for anyone who stumbles across this thread in the future....

The switch I identified in my original post is indeed the Bow Ram Limit Switch which seems to be a fairly common failure point.

This is identified in the WIS as S85/15. And should you wish to order a brand new one, the Mercedes part no. is 2088202310.

I wasn't able to find the price of a new one from Mercedes, but a breaker wanted £100 for a second hand one. After a lot of searching I managed to find one on german ebay for less than £50 delivered brand new.
And here's the best bit.... he's got more! You can buy one here: 2088202310 W208 Bow Ram Limit Switch
Thank me later!

Mine hasn't arrived yet. My hand is also in a cast so it'll be a while before I get round to fitting it. I'll report back once I do to let you know whether it's fixed my roof or not. I can tell you're all on the edge of your seats.

Last edited:
smile said:
Hi everyone, and happy new year! A few days ago I decided to test the convertible roof on my CLK as I haven't used it for a while. Sure enough it went down fine, but on the way back up it stops at the point where the metal cover should close. Searching on this forum it sounds like my 'bow ram limit switch' is broken/faulty. Unfortunately there are no pictures, and I'm having trouble identifying it. So I've taken some pictures and circled what I think is the bow ram limit switch. Can you take a look and let me know if I'm right? These first two pictures were taken with the roof up as far as I could get it. Aka the final stage before the metal cover should close. I think this is the top of the switch which is meant to be clipped to something but has pulled loose. These next two pics are with the roof down. close-up - you can see the plastic connector looks a bit frayed/bent here. Could this be the bit that's supposed to slide? For anyone else reading this with similar problems, this thread was really useful : http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/bodywork/104037-w208-convertible-roof-problem.html[/QUOTE. Hi everyone I'm new on here and am having trouble using the site ,so my prob is roof goes up and down fine , and when roof is down all is fine but when I put the roof up I get no chime and the switch flashes ,also the boot will only open with key, any help would be highly appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom