W208 Lock Barrel out still seized

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tjamesbo

Car
CLK430 ,Vito V6 sport ,Jaguar 2.5 X type ,W124's 1993 220TE , 1994 320TE ,Mastercraft X5
Removed My Lock Barrel following Decs How to but its been soaked in descaler for about 15mins and then overnight in penetrating oil bath and still the key only goes quarter way in Am I right the key has to go all the way in to remove the tumbler barrel from the lock barrel ????????
Can Locksmith unseize or i have heard that some can cut a key to fit a new unseized lock ???? called pulling a key ?? if i can find one
Lock & Key on Ebay not currently available for a w208
I need a low cost solution as this was on my 208 and my 202 has the same and is next on list :eek:
Thanks Boyd
w208lock1.jpg

Try that key blade in the glove box or door lock, just to confirm it does belong to that car. You may know this already.
As far as I can recall the key blade does have to go in all the way (compare with door lock to see how fare blade hast to enter barrel) but not absolutely certain that that is the case, it’s been a long time since I fiddled with that lock.

Suggest you put the barrel, with the key stuck in the slot as in photo, into the freezer until it’s absolutely frozen… 2 hours perhaps? Then drop the barrel & and key into a pot of boiling water, simmer for 3 minutes, if this doesn’t work repeat again a couple of times. Idea being the thermal shock/expansion of the brass levers might brake the grip of the stuck levers.

Dec

Ill try that next , just had it in boiling penetrant fluid in a jug in the oven then spilt it on the oven floor :doh:so missus is on the warpath :eek:

You could also grill or fry it or put a blow torch on it, the only thing to remove is the rubber O ring, everything else on the barrel is either alloy or brass, and the springs are steel.

Below eBay link is just for reference, you should be able to get that lock barrel opened eventually.
W202 - W210 - W208 are the same lock barrel as far as I know, only the key blade differ so you would need the “long” version of the blade.

Note the differences in key type…a2107601877 in Vehicle Parts and Accessories | eBay

Dec

Last edited:
ah thanks for those links so if i cant unseize it i could post it to mercedes parts and they will probably be able to match it
Sounds like a good Plan B
its in the freezer now
Cheers
Boyd

You can also try the reverse as well, might be quicker than freezing it, get the barrel really hot, then throw it into ice cold water, stick something into the key hole slot to keep it open to let the ice cold water inside the barrel as quickly as possible.

If it goes to plan B then you would have to buy a barrel & key blade and from ebay, then dismantle the “new” eBay lock barrel, you can then rearrange the 10 levers inside the barrel to match your existing key blade. You can DIY, you wont need a locksmith.

Dec

Just dismantle it and use emory cloth to clean the tumblers then replace . This worked on my w202 boot barrel.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
15784DB7-2835-43B5-AEBC-719232D91286.jpg

“lock barrel sorted but these bits are not moving correctly eventually seperated them ( 15mins in hot descaler ) had to take the spring out as i think the bottom part jumped its location during the freeing up process so now I have 2 problems
How much is the inner part of the part on the left meant to turn ? at moment it only turns from say 10-12 o clock i seem to have 2 ball bearings not 1 there is one sprung one and one seemingly not sprung but maybe is ( very rusty corroded ) but moves out when the inner part is rotated not sure if it should move more than this very short range and dont want to force it
Second problem is cant see where the bottom lug of the spring engages or locks not possible to see in pictures so far top part ok its the lug at the bottom
This lock rebuild is like a major project in itself only thing driving me on is that my 202 needs same
Boyd”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would you be able to put up pictures ON THIS POST HERE of what stage you are at in the proceedings, if difficult to think this thru without seeing the rest of the components to see what’s assembled and what’s not.

As far as I can recall, W202 lock only turns counter clockwise from12 noon to 10 am as far as I remember = 1 ball bearing.
A w208 lock turns counter clockwise from12 noon to 10 am AND also turns clockwise from 12 noon to 3 pm. = 2 ball bearings.

Is the cleaning and freeing up of the lock complete?
Are all the lock barrel levers free and the key is entering and turning in the lock barrel?
Are all the components for the W208 similar to the W202 in the Boot Lock Fix thread?

Dec

Edit; I just noticed that the eBay link, that I put up in post #4 above is for Door Lock barrels and not Boot Lock barrels.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom