W208 new wings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sonny Burnett

MB Enthusiast
Car
W208 CLK55 AMG
Hi everyone,
I'd like to replace my front wings but I can only find aftermarket parts from euro car parts anyone used these aftermarket wings on a w208 before ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I too would like to know the answer to this.

Unfortunately the ECP wings have indicator holes.

I too would like to know the answer to this.

Unfortunately the ECP wings have indicator holes.
Yeah exactly, I may have to bite the bullet and get from merc for a shocking 300 a side

Tough isn't it. My arches have only just started to go, but it's the only rust on the car so for the time being I can live with it.

Ideally I'd like to get mine repaired but I have no idea what that would cost compared to just buying new ones.

Ive had replacement wings from ECP for my old W202, one had a tiny dent and I had the repeater holes sealed up.

My bodyshop did both for £200 in 744 Brilliant Sliver.

Go for it, any bodyshop can seal them.

Tough isn't it. My arches have only just started to go, but it's the only rust on the car so for the time being I can live with it.

Ideally I'd like to get mine repaired but I have no idea what that would cost compared to just buying new ones.
I have done 2x w202s a 1x210 in my experience it's a lot better to start a fresh with brand new wings, the main reason being that you don't want it to return which it almost always does after a repair.

Ive had replacement wings from ECP for my old W202, one had a tiny dent and I had the repeater holes sealed up.

My bodyshop did both for £200 in 744 Brilliant Sliver.

Go for it, any bodyshop can seal them.
Sorry to reply twice, how did your 744 match up to the rest of the body after ?

Perfect, take your car down with you and they will colour match them. normally 5-6 shades.

£260 all in with the ECP discount (at the time)

Perfect, take your car down with you and they will colour match them. normally 5-6 shades.

£260 all in with the ECP discount (at the time)
Ecp want near £200 per wing for the 208, I'm having a look on Saturday to get a quote so I will keep this thread updated

Woah, they have shot up, £178 before discount. prob around £150 after any discounts.

The W202 wings back in 2012 were £35 each

Woah, they have shot up, £178 before discount. prob around £150 after any discounts.

The W202 wings back in 2012 were £35 each
My 210 wings cost 50 each, madness I can't even find any on ebay it's like the w208 has just dropped of the radar

Getting a rare car now, like the W202 and W210 due to Rust.

Getting a rare car now, like the W202 and W210 due to Rust.
Yeah I always wanted a clk55 and it's mint apart from the fronts and it's very strange it's rusted unlike any other I have seen, I suspect the owner who mad it before me must of got it done on the cheap. Do I just body ask for cheaper wings at ecp?

Normally some kinda of discount code floating around here/internet...

Rust free used panels another option. Almost like hens teeth but you never know - and if you're patient...! Wouldn't like to use pattern part panels myself, all the ones I've seen have been a bit lighter/tinny compared to genuine panels, and sometimes the fit isn't very good?

Sonny, any pics/details of your CLK55, had mine for 5 1/2 years, was a great car :cool:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/members-gallery/75224-my-2001-clk55-amg.html

Rust free used panels another option. Almost like hens teeth but you never know - and if you're patient...! Wouldn't like to use pattern part panels myself, all the ones I've seen have been a bit lighter/tinny compared to genuine panels, and sometimes the fit isn't very good?

Sonny, any pics/details of your CLK55, had mine for 5 1/2 years, was a great car :cool:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/members-gallery/75224-my-2001-clk55-amg.html
I will yeah you are right I used patent on my 202 and it was OK good as new but had a terrible time with fitment on the 210 I got it there in the end but still had to muck about, I will get it detailed and shoot some nice photos hopefully this weekend and il start a gallery. Yours looks great BTW ;)

Crappy insta pic

4fd40f484977f95d52b77bc1aa450fe5.jpg

I agree with Will - rust free panels is another option. I did this on an old 735, bought a secondhand clean wing, stripped it back to bare metal on the inside, then began the build up, treat any possibility of rust in the inner edge, use Jenolite, followed by Dinitrol Rust converter (seals) then a couple of coats of heavy zinc primer (strongest content of zinc) a coating of red lead then Dinitrol under body wax..(Go nuts at this point) coat all the areas like behind the headlights making sure that the thickest coats are there and around the wheel arch lip... 10 years later and you could still cut your hand of the factory edge.. its all down to the preparation and how far you want to go..the more effort the better and longer lasting the result...:thumb:

My CLK55 has a little surface rust on the front wings. With the price of the wings I dont know if it is worth fixing. My 55 has 177k miles on the clock, but I still love having fun with the tail out

My CLK55 has a little surface rust on the front wings. With the price of the wings I dont know if it is worth fixing. My 55 has 177k miles on the clock, but I still love having fun with the tail out
More of a pride thing to be quite frank, although rust spreads, I had it creep onto my w210s sub frame so it's worth inspecting

W208AMG

I've very recently done the front wings on my R129, I can't vouch for ECP replacement wings as nobody does pattern parts for the R129. What I will say is that as much as you shirk at the price of OEM ones there was absolutely no messing with the fit, they went on perfectly first time, as they should. I looked at 2nd hand ones for sale and they all had rust in them no matter how little so as I intend keeping the car I paid up for new ones. If you're keeping yours weigh up if it's worth fitting pattern wings, if you spread the difference between the two across how long you intend keeping the car the difference for a perfect fitter and better quality doesn't seem so bad. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom