W208 Removal and refit Headlights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davein spain

Car
clk 320 con
I have got to Change my headlights over from RHD to LHD to comply with ITV (Spanish MOT)
As I have the mechanical aptitude of a goldfish, can anyone give me any guidance as to how to and more importantly should I even try!
Unfortunately the garages here in Spain charge like wounded Rhinos!!

Are the current headlights halogens? I'm afraid you would anyway need to buy new complete light units unless they would accept a flat light pattern which most xenon lights can do.

I have got to Change my headlights over from RHD to LHD to comply with ITV (Spanish MOT)
As I have the mechanical aptitude of a goldfish, can anyone give me any guidance as to how to and more importantly should I even try!
Unfortunately the garages here in Spain charge like wounded Rhinos!!

When I imported my car into Spain I had the same problem and after searching around for a "donor vehicle" I had to give up and bite the cost 750 Euros fitted. The guys on the ITV sites do tend to fail anything that is not cosher or "not original equipment" and will charge you again for a retest normally within 30 days. They failed mine once because they were unable to find the VIN number as it was in a different place to normal. They were not really impressed with UK service sticker which was under the bonnet C.A.Jones Diagnostics Mobil 1. (Persons can use a translator for the underlined.) but it did raise a smile.

You are correct about the MB dealers/(franchisers as most are) - they have the idea that customer service is just smiling as they take the cash!
I do not know how you have found them. I have tried 3 such "Emporiums of Technic'os" in my area and each time the car been serviced it has been returned with other faults which require another visit. e.g. go for a new radiator and the speedtronic is not working and they have always fitted the inevitable additional 3 replacement bulbs. Hello - I have a light which tells me that.

When you complain they then say "was it working when you brought it in" - and how can you prove that! After further discussion they dont even know how to speak Spanish and revert to Valeciana and dismiss you as a smart ass immigrant.
At another - after a service, I found later a week later that they had fitted a completely different radio antenna - probably broke it fitting the bulbs - or preferred my stainless version to the sticking black one they fitted.
On the other side - we do have lots of sunshine :rolleyes: so all is not gloom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom