w208 Roof cylinders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joeycessna

Car
1999 CLK230 Komp Cabriolet
Hi, I have a 1999 CLK230 cabriolet W208. The roof hydraulic (black) cylinders are leaking. Apparently this is a common problem due to poor quality OEM seals. Replacement seal kits are available from Germany, Does anyone know how to dismantle these cylinders? As far as I understand, the end caps are swaged but can be machined and removed. I have 50+ years in precision engineering, and I have toolroom facilities. However I don't want to dissect them until I know the process. There is a company in the US that re-seals these cylinders but the cost is probably more than the car is worth. p/n's are A2088000072, 172, and 272. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, joe

They don't seem that expensive on eBay?

E.g.:

Also, my understanding is that they are gas filled (not hydraulic)? If so, do you have the facilities to charge them?

One other option is to talk to these people:

TheY make gas pressurised struts to size, though their struts will be supplied plain so you will need to move any fittings/clips from the old strut to the new strut.

And you will need to know the force of the strut in NM.

One more thought... the struts are likely made for Mercedes by Stabilus, so try searching their online catalogue:

Potentially buying new Stabilus struts via an online parts supplier might work-out cheaper than buying original MB-branded struts.

Hi Markjay, Thanks that's a great lead re the ebay ones. I searched ebay and couldn't find any. Unfortunately, if you notice the ebay ones are used and described as "MERCEDES W208 CLK Convertible Hydraulic Roof Ram 2088000172 A2088000172. Condition is working. It slight leak. So selling as spares or repairs.". However, they would be well worth buying if only to dissect them to see how they are assembled. I am reluctant to dissect my own ones until I understand the original assembly process. The problem with any MB used cylinder is that once they are over ten or fifteen years old, as in the case of the w208, the seals inevitably fail. There are 7 hydraulic cylinders on the w208. There are gas ones that lift the boot lid. If all else fails, I will make new cylinders from scratch that will do the same job as the OEMs but it would be much easier to stick new seals in if I can figure out how to dissemble them without ruining them. Please excuse my spelling, I must get mu grandson to show me how to turn on the spell-check. j

Buying second hand ones off eBay as Guinea pigs is a good idea.

And keep in mind that it might be worth talking to SGS Engineering (see my post above), I got some struts off them for my Suzuki for a fraction of the cost of OE ones.

Buying second hand ones off eBay as Guinea pigs is a good idea.

And keep in mind that it might be worth talking to SGS Engineering (see my post above), I got some struts off them for my Suzuki for a fraction of the cost of OE ones.
Thanks Markjay

Hi Markjay. Happy NY to you and all.

I dissected the "guinea pig" cylinder I got from ebay and discovered how it was originally assembled, It certainly wasn't designed to be taken apart.! Anyway this knowledge allowed me to remanufacture my own cylinders (5 off). I made new hard chromed piston rods (OEM ones were badly corrosion pitted), and fitted all new Vitol seals (much better material than the OEMs). I hydraulically pressure tested them to 200bar and no leaks. Anyway I hope I'm not treading on the moderators toes by saying if anyone needs their cylinders remanufacturing, give me a shout.

kind regards and thanks for your help. joe

I dissected the "guinea pig" cylinder I got from ebay and discovered how it was originally assembled, It certainly wasn't designed to be taken apart.! Anyway this knowledge allowed me to remanufacture my own cylinders (5 off). I made new hard chromed piston rods (OEM ones were badly corrosion pitted), and fitted all new Vitol seals (much better material than the OEMs). I hydraulically pressure tested them to 200bar and no leaks. Anyway I hope I'm not treading on the moderators toes by saying if anyone needs their cylinders remanufacturing, give me a shout.

Hiya! Read this with interest - I may need to replace/refurb my lift cylinders on a W209 (A2098000772 and A2098000872) - this something you may be able to help with?

Cheers

Last edited:
Hiya! Read this with interest - I may need to replace/refurb my lift cylinders on a W209 (A2098000772 and A2098000872) - this something you may be able to help with?

Cheers
Hi Steve, usually it is only the rod seals that start to leak and compared to the inner seals such as the piston seals (inner and outer seal co-located) are relatively easy to replace. There is some machining involved though. What condition are the hard chromed rods? Mine were corrosion pitted so I made new ones.

Hi,

Are you still able to help with getting these cylinders reworked? I have at least one on my clk that needs new seals!

BTW, if it is one of the pair of main lift cylinders, or rear pair of bow cylinders that is leaking, it is best to repair both or all two sets as they will leak sooner or later. Also its a pain getting them out as the roof has to be lifted. Its a really tricky job especially the first time you do it. Top-hydraulics (Klaus) has some good videos of the process (# 8 and 9 I think)

BTW, if it is one of the pair of main lift cylinders, or rear pair of bow cylinders that is leaking, it is best to repair both or all two sets as they will leak sooner or later. Also its a pain getting them out as the roof has to be lifted. Its a really tricky job especially the first time you do it. Top-hydraulics (Klaus) has some good videos of the process (# 8 and 9 I think)

Hi,
Thanks for getting back to me.
I think the one that’s leaking is Pt No A2088000172 but I haven’t removed it yet. I’m planning to do it next week (wish me luck!). It’s leaking from around the shaft seal I think.

How much would you want to repair it. I take your point about getting all of them sorted in one go. Could you let me know cost etc for one or all four please.

I notice you’re in Galway. I’m in London so I’d need to get shipping worked out too.

Many thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom