W208 Roof problem

Discussion in 'Bodywork' started by Andymac10, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Andymac10

Andymac10 New Member

Car:
    2003 CLK 430
    Help! Roof will not open automatically, open handle, windows go down, pull switch, light blinks (3Hz) nothing happens, roll bar does not retract. Checked Luggage cover switch at N52 plug and okay. Not sure how to check trunk lid micro switch.
    After opening the roof manually all is well, I close the hydraulic valve and the roof (and headrests) behave exactly as they should. Everything works and I hear that wonderful "bing" chime.
    Headrests do not behave and could be related. Headrests go up and down with switch but do not automatically stop. They do not move when trying to open roof. I have checked the micro switches at the headrest frame and both go to ground when raising and lowering. Maybe normal behaviour but not sure.
    I get a B1650-001 micro switch position not plausible message on my Autel scanner, and someone said it was the roll bar micro switches but not sure.
    The only switch I can think of is the one in the top of the windshield, when watching the process on the Autel scanner I open the handle and it goes from closed/locked to closed/unlocked. Could that be where the issue is?
    But the windows go down so it must see something.
    Any help appreciated.

2. OP
    OP
    Andymac10

Andymac10 New Member

Car:
    2003 CLK 430
    Problem finally solved. It turned out to be the S84/13 micro switch on the left hinge area. It is the soft top open/close limit switch. If I open the roof a bit more than the wires do, it trips and the roof opens. Now I just have to buy the switch and pull the car apart again to install it. Oh wait, maybe I'll just keep opening a bit more and save myself about $300.