W208 Serpentine Belt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveoelliott

Car
CLK 230K W208
Hi all,

I have a 2000 CLK W208 230K that's done 116K and I know that the seperntine belt has not been changed previously. Is there an internal / period when these should be swapped?

Given the age / mileage I'm guessing it is likely to fail in the future so was thinking about being proactive.

How much of a job is it for a garage to swap them? If I purchased a spare and kept it in the boot is it the sort of thing the AA could fix at the side of the road?

Thanks...

I would change it as a matter of course, lf its never been changed before its probably in a dreadful state. Being a 4-pot there should be a reasonable amount of space at the front of the engine to get at it, on my E220 cdi it took about 5 mins. Any half decent spanner man should be able to sort it. Last year my wife's then car, a Rav4 snapped its belt on the motorway and due to the ineptitude of the AA it spoiled a weekend away. Prevention is way better than cure.

Got to agree with saff, it is easy to change, only difficult bit is releasing the tensioner, if I remember correctly its a 3/8 square end?
A non Dealer garage would take less than an hour so not expensive.

Be sure to buy the correct Mercedes belt.

Take a picture of the layout for future reference.

Dec

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A W202, same procedure.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, appreciate the feedback... I will look into getting this completed ASAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom