W208 Shocks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveoelliott

Car
CLK 230K W208
Hi all,

My 2000 CLK 230 Elegance Cab I feel is a bit roly in the bends... Now I know it's an elegance but I am wondering if there is milage in swapping my front shocks.

Last year springs were changed, along with ARB bushes, top and bottom arms.

I know the shocks were done in 2007 (I know who owned car before) and it had covered about 40K since then. The shocks used were Boge Turbo ones.

The thing with shocks is, people have told me that they don't necessarily appear to be worn, bouncing up and down etc but can affect handling and body roll etc.

If swapping the front shocks is the way to go, any suggestions on non-Mercedes ones which are good? Also for a garage to do this how much labour are we talking?

Thanks...

Last edited:
I had a 320 W208 and replaced with Bilstein B6 dampers all round - vast improvement.

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

I had Koni adjustable shocks and Eibach springs on my 208.

Awesome transformation.

Thanks guys... When I say non-Mercedes, I'm not really going for uprating just standard genuine alternatives. I know it's never going to corner like it's on rails but hopefully some newer shocks will improve handling.

Thanks guys... When I say non-Mercedes, I'm not really going for uprating just standard genuine alternatives. I know it's never going to corner like it's on rails but hopefully some newer shocks will improve handling.

In fairness, if you are looking to replace worn shocks, you may as well consider performance shocks. They won't be that much more expensive, if at all.

AMG's already come with bilstein shocks and Eibach springs, so it won't be anything out of the ordinary.

OK... With standard springs though (replaced last year) would using performance shocks be an issue?

Which shocks offer performance without going overboard?

Rashman said:
I had Koni adjustable shocks and Eibach springs on my 208. Awesome transformation.

Exactly the same set up as my W208 very taught in corners improved handling no end mine is the coupe though which are a lot stiffer and have less body roll than the cab which is some 200kg heavier

OK... With standard springs though (replaced last year) would using performance shocks be an issue?

Which shocks offer performance without going overboard?

You'll be fine to install performance shocks with new, standard springs.

I really liked the Koni shocks because they are adjustable.
Soft, medium and hard settings.
I left mine on soft because I didn't want the ride to be too crashy.
You have to remove the shocks and adjust the stiffness setting while they're off the car - they have a little button you press to adjust the setting - and I didn't fancy finding out the ride was too hard and have to take them off, adjust them and start again.

I thought it best to start at soft setting and adjust afterwards if necessary.

Although set to soft, they were a lot more stiffer than the standard suspension but were still very road compliant.

Exactly the same set up as my W208 very taught in corners improved handling no end mine is the coupe though which are a lot stiffer and have less body roll than the cab which is some 200kg heavier

Yes, I had a coupe too.
Loved the transformation in handling :thumb:

I went medium but think you made the right decision as medium is hard but I couldnt be ****d to take them off the car again and set to soft. I'm also running an 18" staggered set up which doesnt help

I went medium but think you made the right decision as medium is hard but I couldnt be ****d to take them off the car again and set to soft. I'm also running an 18" staggered set up which doesnt help

Yeah, I hear you.
UK roads spoil the fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom