W208 - Windows intermittent and clicking Sound

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

My320CLK

Car
CLK320 1999 Convt
Hi All,

CLK320 Cab 1999 Facelift

Have the strangest issue, been happening for year or so, now getting worse, the windows stop working or work intermittently at about the same time but not always i hear a clicking sound from what i think is the right hand side vent area behind the dash or directly behind the ignition switch, at first i didnt link the 2 as i assumed it was the vent stepper motor, however even with the digital climate control off it still happens and sounds like a relay struggling - i'm pretty happy its not from the door,

When it happens the bits that stop working are......

All Windows - 4 switches and the one touch cab button
Mirrors - But do adjust if I use the memory seat function
The rear headrests

Bits that still work

Parking sensor disable
Heated seats
ECP disable

Ive taken out the drivers side fusebox and googled but just get stepper motor and the door module, which is in the door I believe, it sounds like a relay behind the ignition switch, but can't find anything on line,

Any idea what on earth it could be?

Cheers
Andy

may320 Might be your SAM unit is playing up .Just keep looking in .Some one will help you i am sure .

Thank you - I'm off this week and will try and see whats lurking behind the panel, what I have also noticed is when the windows stop working - i can still use the inferred on the door handle to power all 4 up and down

After much googleing I found a YouTube video of a guy swapping out the light switch (from where im sure noise is coming from), thought worth watching to see how it comes out, and thus whats behind, well turns out the light switch is an all in one including the fuse board\dash wiring harness and I suspect magic parts inside, (he was having issues with full beam the new one fixed it)

On ebay you can pick them up for less that £30 so thats the next step - Merc I think is £300 plus, does anyone know if they need to be programmed I dont think it would as looking at the fuse diag its all lighting parking sensors etc nothing about the roof and fits many models?

Part is 210 545 05 04

Should arrive in the next few days

Bit of an update have another car now so pressure off to fix this, swapped the lighting module and didn't make any difference had a computer hooked up but can't read the sams : ( - what has happened is I took out the front sam in the engine bay to get the part number, and by uplugging all the connections it seems to now be working as are the windows, nothing looked corroded - also the relay clicking I suspect came from that,

Will check this weekend if its still working,

My next question is if I buy another SAM off ebay and it matches part number does it need re programming? or does it have standard functions, windows horn etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom