W208 wont turn or start, key issues?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

W210 Fan

MB Enthusiast
Car
W140 S500L W208 430
So, long time no speak, ive been busy with reliable motors!

I have a W208, the key stopped working so I employed Autotronics to investigate it, they asked for the ignition module which I sent off and they sent me a new key which unlocked the doors but didnt start the engine, the ignition module wouldnt accept the key, it didnt make the `servo` noise and I coudnt turn it, I have checked all the connections to the ignition module and ive checked the fuses and relays, I moaned and 3 weeks later (today) a new key turned up, this one doesnt even unlock the doors but when its in the ignition the light on the key glows red which is odd,

So does anybody have an idea on why it doesnt start? obviously I need to get my money back from autotronics and start somewhere else but do we think the ignition module might be gone or the electronic steering lock?

Help greatfully receieved as its driving me potty not being able to use it, im slumming it in a W140 in the mean time!

Mark S

Mark.
You say the key stopped working.
Could this be an electronic ignition switch issue instead?
Codes need to be read on STAR i'd say. (or some other reader)

I'd attempt to read them for you on my icarsoft unit as your local to me in Gfd but alas no transport until my alternator arrives!

It’s not impossible but the ignition switch has been up to autotronics and they didn’t report any errors with it,

How far away are you? I could collect if you were to be good enough to read my codes

Mark.
I'm in Worplesdon, down A3 to Dennis roundabout then A322 towards Bisley for a mile or so.
As long as you have a 16 pin obd it should read the codes.
I updated the software last week so I'll connect to mine to check it's still working ok.

I don’t know where the ODB is in the 208 I’ve always used the star, w207 and w209 points towards newer stuff - maybe your gear isn’t designed for these old hacks?

Has it got a w210?

I believe the w210 and w208 electronics are very similar if you don’t mind trying?

Thankyou gents, I happened to have the panel hanging out at the moment and there is no 16 pin socket there only the round mercedes star one under the bonnet... :(

well thanks for trying anyway!

Hi,
This is just to show the component parts of the ignition switch ....
Mercedes W208 CLK430 Engine Computer ECU Ignition Switch Key EIS Steering Lock | eBay
Now, I do not know the answer to this, but on a w204 and w207 the small electric motor in the ignition switch is prone to failure, might this affect your w208? this may be an easy repair.
ESL/ELV Steering Lock Wheel Motor Fit Mercedes-Benz C E-CLASS W204 W212 W207 | eBay

I would have thought that when they made your new key for the lock that they would have tested this on some sort of test bed to ensure that it turned the lock. If this is the case then it is probably the lock part at fault. Is it worth going to a breaker and getting replacement parts.?

Steve
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

They said they had tested key number 1 with the ignition module I sent them, I spoke to them and key 2 needs to go in and out of the ignition 6 times, I did that and it didnt work, they have said for me to send both keys and the ignition module back and they will make sure they all work before sending them out again,

I had considered buying other parts but I thought they were all coded? I even have a W210 here I can `borrow` things from if that works?

The EIS has a cable that runs off to what I assumed to the ESL? I could take the EIS apart and see if it has a motor in it, the motor looks like a standard Scaletrix motor so so should be an easy swap

Very public spirited of you!!!
Thanks Abb. Just purchased it.

Mark, I'll let you know when I get it and then we can meet up and read some codes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom