W209 320Cdi Onging Engine problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cbmsys

Car
W211 2004 E270 AMG; W215 2001 CL55 AMG (For sale); W209 CLK 320Cdi (breaking)
Hope somebody can help me with this, or point me at a thread.. I've read plenty so far but no help.

W209 CLK320Cdi V6 OM642 Engine, 130k miles. Been faultless since I bought it 5 months ago, at 125k. Has a Brabus D6 fitted, which has been removed since the troubles started, in order to eliminate this.

Troubles started a month ago with Turbo Actuator failure. Engine codes read, confirmed actuator fault and Lambda Sensor high voltage.

Recon actuator fitted, New Bosch Lambda sensor fitted, and oil/air filter service.

Still in limp mode, fault now sowing with Inlet port Motor, still also showing fault on turbo actuator and lambda.

New (MB Genuine) Port motor fitted. Still showing all 3 fault codes, and still dropping into Limp mode randomly.

I'm now at the end of my patience with this, :mad: and having cost me £500 in parts so far, I'm not prepared to spend any more money on replacing parts without actually finding out what the problem is. All the faulty components from the Star Diags have been changed, and all codes have come back. Any pointers gratefully recieved.

Don't loose patience with the car .. they really are great motors.. Now:

Can you get the Codes & post up here...

I'd be looking for a good Indie to have a good look at the car and check it over..

If you're really struggling put it in to the dealers to gain some pointers, hopefully they can diagnose it .. then pull it out and repair accordingly

If you think its turbo related call Tom at Turbo Dynamics:

Turbo Dynamics - Design & Manufacture of Turbo's for all applications

Please don't think I'm having a go, as I have the same engine in a W203..

Did you fit a actuator and a turbo? There matched to each other.

Have you checked fuses? With actuator and more so inlet port shutoff motors the fuses can blow.

Yup can't just stick any actuator in there. Must the original pne reconned or you need a whole new unit. STAR is very good at pointing where the fault is mind you. And have the faults been cleared at all or not?

Hi Guys

Just an update, I havn't had chance to get the car to someone with Star Diags as this is my daily driver for work. I have an OBD reader and Torque, which does allow me to get the basic codes from the ecu. I have reset the codes, which only seems to work about 10% of the time with the generic reader, and went out to work this morning. Within 15 minutes its back into limp mode and showing P0244 - Wastegate Solenoid "A" Range/Performance.

This was my unit that I sent off to be reconditioned. Despite being in limp mode the actuator is working, I can see it moving, and I'm getting full boost until it gets 3000rpm limit

I've checked all the fuses under the bonnet in the fusebox next to ECU and nothing is untoward. Don't have any fuse reference chart to know what I'm checking though, nothing in the Handbook.

Might be able to get it into workshop for diags before the weekend. This guy is using an Autologics Unit (I think) and I don't know how compatible this is with the Mercs. Thanks for suggestions so far

Help - Turbo Actuator Woes

Please, does anyone have any ideas on this? I'm out of ideas and frankly running out of money on this. :mad:

Original fault from Diags 2510-001 - Turbo actuator signals
Also various faults with Exhaust Oxygen Sensor
Actuator sent to be reconditioned, and returned.
Actuator fitted. New Oxygen sensor fitted. ECU codes cleared
Original fault returns, along with Inlet port Motor fault
New Inlet Port Motor from MB fitted, ECU codes cleared
Still showing 2510-001 fault (P0244 on generic)
Turbo actuator sent back to recon company for re-work.
Recon actuator refitted. ECU codes cleared,
Still showing actuator fault P0244.....

The first time I fitted the recon actuator it worked briefly but then stuck in the full boost position (ie fully down). I fitted it this time, turned ignition on and there is a clicking coming from the actuator, like it is trying to move but can't. The acutuator linkage to the turbo is fully free to move when disconnected from the unit. Now the unit is stuck in the off position (ie fully up)

Seriously I'm at the end of my patience with this. If anybody has any ideas before I throw it at a MB dealer and re-mortgage my house, please let me know. :wallbash:

Have you checked the MAP sensor ? It is responsible for many operations that happens in the car including the turbo actuator job.

Make the call or take the run to Tom... trust me I was there last year with another car, constant limp home mode, a new turbo charger unit fitted (in Scotland by "The TG" nuff said!) back in.. NFF continually, was skinned over £1300 notes... changed, spoke to Tom at TD's a new unit fitted later and wheeeeeeeeeee... boost galore and no codes nada! Make that call/run before its to late...:thumb:

Thanks for the advice wu56Shoozz. If it's down to a new turbo then there's no way I'm gonna be able to afford it, same as putting it into a MB dealer TBH, their rates are just astronomical. Only way I can afford to run a car at all is because I've grown up working on cars, from 1950's Damilers of my fathers, through to Landrovers and Range Rovers and Vauxhalls of my own, doing all the work myself from bodywork to engine rebuilds.

If its that sort of money, much as I love the car, and I got lucky with a Brabus D6 unit that the dealer didn't know about which makes the performance phenomenal (it's my first "modern" car, up until now the youngest car I've owned is from 1993 which I was using until 6 months ago) I'll have to sell it and and take a hit. This is my everyday driver for commuting and the whole idea was something more modern and fuel efficent (the savings on fuel are paying the finance, I've gone from 20mpg on a 3.0l petrol to 35mpg on the CLK)

I'll call them up next week and see if they have any ideas but I can't take the car that distance with the turbo not running, I'm in Luton and although it is driveable without the turbo that sort of distance is not a good idea.

Could do it over night when the traffic is quiet...been there done that! lols! Tom may be able to source you a good secondhand unit with a limited amount of warranty.. its worth a try...but don't give up.. as you need it as a DD. I had to wait 6 months to get the second turbo off Tom but once done I never looked back.. I traded it in in favour of my Merc as I need a reliable car for my work.. and so far I've not been disappointed, plus I have two Indies on my doorstep. If I needed another turbo I wouldn't walk past Turbo Dynamics.. their service and expertise was second to none..

P.S Did you know that you can get the RAC to tow it in for you but you'll have to pay for it.. its not that bad either 30 miles = £50 notes?? I thought it was worth it when I destroyed a Halfshaft..

Last edited:
You need it properly diagnosed. It will save you time and ££.

Id put money on the vanes in the turbo sticking. There are cleaners you can get for that.

Sort of unrelated but worth a try. Are you keeping the D6 chip or would you consider selling it?

Afraid not, unless I have to sell the car.

You need it properly diagnosed. It will save you time and ££.

Id put money on the vanes in the turbo sticking. There are cleaners you can get for that.

What sort of cleaner would you recommend for a Mercedes CDI? Terra Clean?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using MBClub UK

??

Luton isn't that far from Wayne Gates can you limp down.

Check the Turbo hose isn't split, it can cause limp mode AND random errors like lambda and boost issues. CHECK that pipe, both left and right hand side. Sometimes you can't see the split but it may be there given the mileage and age.

Update - more fiddling, possible progress - ideas please?

Just a quick update. Due to the ongoing issues I have not been able to use the car all week :( but have spent some time on the phone to a couple of reccomeded guys and the original reconditioners

The original reconditioners have offered to send an exchange unit when they have one in stock, so I can totally eliminate the issues with the original unit being still faulty. They advise the report on the unit originally said a loose wire and some play in the linkage

Advice on here from BlackC55 and Turbo Dynamics has caused me to revisit the turbo linkage. While it moves totally freely (engine running or not) I have no way of verifying if the full range of movement is available or wether the vanes are jamming at one extreme or the other

So I have disconnected the linkage and held it in about the half-way position. The arm on the unit seems to have a bit of play (about 1/8" in the position the unit last stopped at when it went into limp mode) which would indicate that there is play in the gears.

However, even after being out in it for an hour or so the limp mode has not engaged and there are no fault codes from the ECU, pending or otherwise.....

So. Is the slack in the gears of the actuator causing the problem or do I look at a recon turbo, or is it worth trying one of these turbo cleaners?

Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom