W209 aftermarket single DIN?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted93199

Hi all,

my '04 W209 CLK has the Audio 10 radio/cassette with CD autochanger in the glovebox. I'm looking to replace it with a head unit that will take USB and (ideally) SD cards as an audio source. I rip my CDs as WAV files in the first instance, so the ability to directly play WAV would be perfect, but would be happy to convert to 16/44.1 WMA for in-car use if necessary. My ears are getting on a bit, but to me MP3 just isn't good enough quality.

I quite like the general audio quality of the Audio 10, so whatever I replace it with needs to be at least as good, and preferably better.

I've looked into the double-din all-singing-all-dancing units and they leave me a bit cold - too distracting/fussy, I don't need sat nav (have a Garmin if I go anywhere unknown) and I have an aversion to Apple products so no "made for iPhone/iPod" needed :)

Also, I'd like to keep the centre console as OEM and understated as possible (car is an Elegance so lots of nice wood).

Inbuilt bluetooth for those rare occasions when the phone goes off when I'm alone in the car would be a bonus, but not essential.

Has anybody had any experience of good quality single-din audio players who could offer recommendations?

OC

Also interested in this sort of solution. My Dynavin will be going in the bin soon.

It also occurred to me that I've never seen a single-din fascia plate to fit just in the space where the Audio 10 lives, leaving the cubby hole below. Does such a thing exist or would it be necessary to install a double-din fascia kit with a blanking plate/new cubby hole below?

It also occurred to me that I've never seen a single-din fascia plate to fit just in the space where the Audio 10 lives, leaving the cubby hole below. Does such a thing exist or would it be necessary to install a double-din fascia kit with a blanking plate/new cubby hole below?

The space left by the audio-10 is single din so you can fit just about any single DIN unit in there and leave the cubby hole.

Alpine and Kenwood both offer some really good units with customisable colour display to match existing lighting. Built in bluetooth and USB are very common and you dont have to spend much to get something decent.

We would be happy to do you a deal on a unit for you ;)

Thanks Alfie.

Ironically we used to live in Finchampstead, and I worked in Frimley, so it would have been nice and easy to pop in and see you for supply & fitting. Unfortunately we're now 150 miles away! I'm not having much luck locally getting advice on single-din, although there's plenty willing to supply & fit kenwood and alpine DD units. I might have to have a go at DIY fitting (eek!). May give you a call tomorrow to see what's available.

OC

Thanks Alfie.

Ironically we used to live in Finchampstead, and I worked in Frimley, so it would have been nice and easy to pop in and see you for supply & fitting. Unfortunately we're now 150 miles away! I'm not having much luck locally getting advice on single-din, although there's plenty willing to supply & fit kenwood and alpine DD units. I might have to have a go at DIY fitting (eek!). May give you a call tomorrow to see what's available.

OC

It is quite easy to fit a single din unit in the car as you have the ISO connections already present. Have a look at the Alpine CDE-136BT. It has Bluetooth, Cd/AM/FM, USB/IPOD and DAB!

All you need to get the existing audio-10 out is the removal keys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom