W209 Brake Woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iainjo

Car
Mercedes CLK 320 CDI
I've had a long standing problem with the parking brake with the foot pedal not springing back once released. It started with it not coming all the way back up and the light staying on until giving it a little help hooking a foot underneath to bring it up all the way. That developed into it only springing back a small amount when released and when lifted dropping back to where the ratchet starts. So today I took the panel off under the rear seat and gave it a good going over with penetrating oil whilst working the brake. It hasn't made any difference so far, it looks more like a problem with a mechanism that pushes the pedal back up so when it's light I'll dive into the footwell for a look. Any tips on what to look for would be a big help?

Job no. 2 was to replace the rear discs and pads and looked quite easy from what I'd seen. Getting the pads out was the first challenge and try as I might I could not budge the pin holding them in place. As I was getting nowhere fast I thought I'd check the disc. It was easy enough to remove the caliper and gain access and the torx screw holding the disc came out easily enough. Then to the disc, I gave it a bit of persuasion with a rubber mallet and still it would not budge off the hub. I repeated this, giving it as much persuasion as I dare and still it wouldn't move. It would however rotate around the hub, it easily spun round 360 degrees and more with little effort. It just wouldn't pull away and felt is if something was holding it in place. Again, any tips on what to try before I give in and get my local garage to take a look? I've limited space to work on the car, what space I have is on a slight incline so even taking car with 2 jacks and chocks I'm wary about getting under the car for a closer look.

"It would however rotate around the hub, it easily spun round 360 degrees and more with little effort. It just wouldn't pull away and felt is if something was holding it in place. "

The parking brake shoes are holding the disk on the hub. You must get at the adjusters through the wheel bolt holes and back off the shoes.
Lots of vids on youtube for this.

The parking brake shoes are holding the disk on the hub. You must get at the adjusters through the wheel bolt holes and back off the shoes.
Lots of vids on youtube for this.
Many thanks, I picked the first Youtube video that I found and may have been a bit quick on the fast forward, it did look a lot easier than I thought it would be :oops: I'll take another look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom