W209 cabrio - rear head rests

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

666bxg

Hi...

My wife had the misfortune of being rear-ended earlier today. Luckily enough our car only escaped with scratches to the bumper. The poor guy in the camry would almost certainly need new bonnet and lights!

After the impact, the rear headrests/rollover bars were raised. Pressing the lower headrests button could not bring them down. This is obviously obstructing the already-poor rear visibility.

The question is, could this the impact have triggered some mechanism, that needs replacing (similar to belt pre-tensioners)? If so I would certainly get a quotation for the whole job from a Mercedes garage. Previously I would have thought it was going to be a bumper re-spray.

Many thanks

I would have your car taken to a Mercedes Garage for a full checkup. As you dont know what damage may have been caused behind the bumber.

I remember setting the headrests off over a speedbump in my wife's 208 and needed to hold the button in the raise position for a while to get the mechanism to re-engage before being abkle to lower them again. May be worth a try.

Involve your insurance company and have the car fully inspected/assessed as there could quite possibly be damage behind the bumper to the vehicles frame!

The accident in my opinion has certainly messed up the rear headrests at least and God knows what else. Personally, I would be submitting a claim for a full respray of the bumper.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom