w209 clk 500 not starting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

astamir

MB Enthusiast
Car
w208 silver clk55
Hi !
I recently bought a car clk500 w209 with a very good specs like paddle shifters, sat nav,keyless entry and AMG body kit,but the problem is it doesn't start.
The key locks and unlocks the car fine open the ignition shift the gear selector all good but when you trying to start it nothing happens.
Has anyone experienced similar faults please?
Cheers

An update on this one local diagnostic guy got it started with some tool from a front SAM unit he said might be the SAM unit faulty and the other thing he found something with a gearbox not giving a signal in what position the gear is or something like that.
Any good Indy in East London or close with mobile service?
Cheers

Forgot to mention that when the car was started the gear selector on the dashboard was showing what position the gear lever is like P or N or D ,but the car wasn't moving in D or R

It does need a good Indie to read the codes and diagnose what is exactly wrong. If it can be trailered I do recommend MB of Medway who are near Rochester railway station in Kent

Gemtech, gallows corner romford. Very good MB indie.

The mechanic who is trying to sort it at the moment is got stuck with this and a tip from the pros here would really help
He connected a wire to a relay in front SAM unit and when that wire is earthed the engine starts with no problem I think he said it's a starter relay if I'm not mistaken

I'm guessing it's a starter motor but the mechanic says as it start from SAM unit it can't be a starter motor anyone please?
Cheers

I think you won't get an answer here as you are trying something that we aren't recommending, proper diagnostics is essential and the route you are taking could cost quite a lot before you get to the answer and bare in mind a SAM is very expensive needing coding if a replacement is required so the recommendation is to get proper expert diagnostics done before things really do get expensive on you car

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The mechanic connected a wire to starter relay and when you earth that wire it starts with the key and I think he is playing up to give me a high bill just for simple starter relay replacement.
Am I right or wrong guys with this starter relay help please!

Anyone please???

astamir said:
Anyone please???

Have you checked the "main" fuse between the battery and starter motor ? It's normally located in drivers footwell. Check pic. HTH.

Attachments

• image-1074020937.jpg
    image-1074020937.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 24
mercedescl500 said:
Have you checked the "main" fuse between the battery and starter motor ? It's normally located in drivers footwell. Check pic. HTH.

It's known as a Junction Box. The pic above is from a w220/215.

It should look like this on a 209. Usually a 150 amp fuse inside.

Attachments

• image-1403707434.jpg
    image-1403707434.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 19
It's known as a Junction Box. The pic above is from a w220/215.

It should look like this on a 209. Usually a 150 amp fuse inside.
I think he didn't check it and he said it shouldn't have one in there it's too old he said 54 plate late 2004 registered.
I will ask him to check it tomorrow and does it look like Normal fuse?

astamir said:
I think he didn't check it and he said it shouldn't have one in there it's too old he said 54 plate late 2004 registered.
I will ask him to check it tomorrow and does it look like Normal fuse?

I'm sure your car should have it. It's a 150 amp fuse. Not a blade fuse. Look at the first picture and you will see a silver cylinder type fuse. All electrics will work except starter if this is blown.

I'm sure your car should have it. It's a 150 amp fuse. Not a blade fuse. Look at the first picture and you will see a silver cylinder type fuse. All electrics will work except starter if this is blown.

I will ask him to check it tomorrow?
Does it requires a special tool or something ?
Thanks

astamir said:
I will ask him to check it tomorrow?
Does it requires a special tool or something ?
Thanks

I would think a multimeter should show if its blown or not.

mercedescl500 said:
I would think a multimeter should show if its blown or not.

Also. Check this first: have you double checked your brake light switch is working ? Located at brake peddle. HTH.

View attachment 59707

View attachment 59708
Here in the first pic it shows what he did to get it started
In the second one how that fuse box looks
And I haven't checked the brake light switch
Is that somehow can be connected to the starting problem?

Last edited:
astamir said:
Here in the first pic it shows what he did to get it started
In the second one how that fuse box looks
And I haven't checked the brake light switch
Is that somehow can be connected to the starting problem?

Quickest way to check is press brake pedal and see if brake lights work. If the lights don't work then yes this could be your problem. HTH.

Quickest way to check is press brake pedal and see if brake lights work. If the lights don't work then yes this could be your problem. HTH.

The car not starting because of this and even a star not picking it on diagnostic?
So the problem can be as simple as this?))))
I hope it's this one will try in a few hours and see

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom