W209 CLK bumpers which fit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ginettaman

Car
CLK 320 Cab
Ive a 2005 320 cab clk. When Merc went from 320 to 280 engines the front and rear bumpers were changed but would those later parts fit my earlier car? The later cars look like the AMG bumpers but again they may be different? Also there are sport models?
Also are the coupe bumpers the same w208 cabriolet?
My car has some front bumper damage so if I can find another painted black bumper it may be cheaper than a repair and paint.
I'm not sure what other body changes were made to the later cars around 2006 on? If any 208 or 209 bumpers will fit I'll have more choice on the second hand market. What about the C class too? If relatively straight forward and possible I could fit later parts if available but then front and back.
Car is black so I presume the colour didn't change?

I believe it's a straight swap for the facelift bumpers (or not a significant amount of effort), but you are correct in that there was a "standard" bumper and an AMG version (used on the "sports" packs).

The foglights also changed, so you may need to source those too. - The grille also changed, but I don't think that requires changing if you like the four-slat version.

Thank you that's useful information going to collect it today so I hope it ok otherwise. Are all Merc alloys the same fit or will only certain cars have the right offsets for a W209. I've noticed they are bigger at the back?

Car made it home ok. Brakes seem to need a good push (not much assistance) so are they all like that? The steering feels a little slow and has some resistance both ways when manoeuvring but I guess we will get used to it.

Doesn't sound like mine.

I've got AMG brakes, so they don't need much of a push to shed lots of speed.
I thought the steering felt quite vague until I put good tyres on the front axle, not I've got a lot of confidence in the turn-in. - Is it speed sensitive power steering in the pre-facelift cars?
Not sure about the alloys. - The 18' options are offset sizes, but the 17" (standard) wheels might be the same front at back.
I can tell you that C-Class alloys do not clear AMG front calipers, but they're OK on the rear axle. - It's not far off; a 10mm spacer would probably be enough.

I was looking at mine today. - If you do go with an AMG bumper, be aware that the body lines that follow it are AMG skirts; it may look slightly odd with just the bumper (maybe not).

The front discs have a formed ridge so I'll give the brakes a service soon and check them out. Bumpers and sills will be as and when I fine some. Doubt I'll get AMG stuff but the later cars after 2005 look similar. I wonder what brake upgrades will fit ok under the 17" wheels? Just removed the coils and cleaned the engine of oil and muck so it's sparkling now under the bonnet! Suspect I'll now find some oil weeping from the top or rocker covers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom