W209 CLK Mild Audio Upgrade Advice - Connections and Approach

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

seymansey

Car
2006 CLK 320cdi Avantgarde
Hi All,

I've currently upgraded my facelift CLK with COMAND and I added the Fiscon pro on the weekend, replacing the existing UHI and iPod setup, as it was getting a little clunky. All working nicely.

My next step is to look at upgrading the audio to another stage, nothing thundering and I don't want to upset the exist loom and hack it up. My main goal is a little more bass, clarity and volume.

Ultimately I would be happy to retrofit the harmon kardon setup to the car, which would be time consuming, but essentially too pricey to add to a car which is getting on a bit.

This is my thinking:

Speakers and Amps

I currently have Morel maximos in the 'front speakers' of the car, as well as the tweeters and crossovers installed. These work fine.

I have a brand new and unopened rockford fostage punch amp (PBR300X4) sitting in storage which I never got round to fitting to a prevoius car.

PBR300X4_1_m.png

I am thinking of using this to amplify the system, but again - i don't want to hack the loom up.

My current thinking is to purchase a quadlock extension, cut and intercept the speaker wires coming OUT of COMAND, INTO the amp and back out through the original wires of the loom. My assumption will be that the factory speaker wires should be suffient to handle the extra power the amp supplies (and I don't want to strip the car for this).

P7179310.JPG

Subwoofer:

Currently considering an active sub (yes, I know another amp somewhere) such as a pioneer TS-WX206A. The idea is that it won't take up my space in the boot - i don't want thundering head shaking bass, just the bottom end to be catered for nicely.

tswx206.jpg

Failing that, does anyone know of any premade enclosures for the CLK that I could fit a custom sub / amp into?

Thanks for the advice!

The Rockford will drive the Morels nicely. I would install the amp and see what this does for you. It will improve the bass and the volume.

If you want to add a sub then I would look at the Cerwin Vega active 10". Its amazing and much easier than a separate AMP and sub box.

The Rockford will drive the Morels nicely. I would install the amp and see what this does for you. It will improve the bass and the volume.

If you want to add a sub then I would look at the Cerwin Vega active 10". Its amazing and much easier than a separate AMP and sub box.

Thanks for the info - that vega looks great - can't seem to find any UK pricing for it though - do you know anywhere specifically that sells it?

Incidentally i've found a quadlock with the splicing already done nicely, which might solve my first issue:

81QI5d99aCL._SX522_.jpg

Rockford happily takes speaker level in.

Ask Alfie for the Cerwin Vega sub, we sell them in the retail shop and install regularly - sometimes they can run out of stock at the importer though. I can vouch for how good they are.

Cheers,

Richard

Sorry for going off topic again, did you order the Fiscon pro directly from Germany? Looking to see if I can find one for a decent price & whether it is a plug & play fit.

How does it work as a music/audio source?

Sorry for going off topic again, did you order the Fiscon pro directly from Germany? Looking to see if I can find one for a decent price & whether it is a plug & play fit.

How does it work as a music/audio source?

You can buy it from comandonline and a few other suppliers for around £380.

If your CLK has an existing telephone prewire and/or an iPod kit, they need to be removed or at least disconnected.

The fiscon fits in place of these items and integrates into the fibre optic MOST loop in your car.

It is likely that you may need to have the car connected to STAR to update the MOST configuration and possibly alter the cluster menus. I have my own STAR, but you can again pay comandonline (alfie / richard) to do it for you, or just get them to supply and fit.

Use wise, i have an iPhone 6, and it pairs to the phone far quicker than the Viseeo MB4 bluetooth solution I used to have. You can see the telephone menu in the cluster and use the steering buttons to access the address list (which is clunky) and the SEND / HANGUP buttons work nicely.

It also has audio AD2P streaming, which is emulated as a CD Changer. Audio quality is very good, although I currently have an issue which i'm due to report to Fiscon - bluetooth phone capability works straight away, but you need to hit the KUFATEC FISCON entry in your bluetooth list to send AD2P audio streaming. Track < and > buttons work on the steering, although you don't get track names, which is a shame but not the end of the world.

Thanks for the info, dension 500 seems to be around the same price, wonder what the differences are..

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info, dension 500 seems to be around the same price, wonder what the differences are..

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

The Dension will give you a USB/ipod connection whereas the fiscon is bluetooth only. There are a few different types of Dension so make sure you get the right one if thats the way you go.

Fitting either requires you to intercept the fibre ring properly. If the car has never had phone then coding of the cluster will be needed.

We offer both, fitted, coded etc......

The Dension will give you a USB/ipod connection whereas the fiscon is bluetooth only. There are a few different types of Dension so make sure you get the right one if thats the way you go.

Fitting either requires you to intercept the fibre ring properly. If the car has never had phone then coding of the cluster will be needed.

We offer both, fitted, coded etc......

Thanks for the info, I'm looking at Dension 500 GW52MO2 but have no fibre optic in the car. Phone is enabled - CDC isn't (I don't think...) Currently running the MB ipod kit.

Hope its all compatible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom