W209 CLK windscreen drain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DavidP

Car
CLK320
There is a drain which carries water from the very far right of the windscreen drainage channel which is blocked (right-hand side viewed from inside the car)

The water goes from the screen, run into a channel close to the bonnet hinge before going into a down-pipe next to the fusebox which discharges the water. The channel is clear but the pipe is blocked, which is causing water to back-up and run to where it shouldn't - inside the car.

Problem is I can't see how to access the pipe to unblock it

Is there a way of unblocking it from the top, or can it only be done working from underneath?

Many thanks,

Dave

I have had recent issues with leaks into a coupe, a real nightmare. I cleaned all the channels running from under the front screen, the ones at the side drain through the wings behind both the wheels, remove the plastic pegs at the bottom of the wheel arch and remove the sludge from there.

Still no joy i then removed the A post cover, the roof trims and all the trim from around the screen, its here I found the problem, a missing section of sealer at the top of the front screen. The water had been running down the headlining, down the A post cover then behind the dash and into the front foot well.

The water runs to the lowest point which is the rear passenger foot well, mine was soaked through and i had to remove the front seat to get the carpet out and dry it out.

The sealer has been missing from the factory, original robot applied sika flex was applied to the rest of the screen, the cars a 2005..............:rolleyes:

Same, all channels cleared but still leaking.

Since found the leak. It is coming through the joint where the fusebox meets the bulkhead. Water is running down the wiring into the drivers footwell like a river. Which explains the electrical weirdness too.

The water is getting to the bulkhead through the joint between the scuttle panel and the side drainage channel on the far offside - it leaks through the join, runs along the underside of the scuttle back to the bulkhead.

It has taken months to find this.

No idea how I am going to make good the seal between the fusebox and the bulkhead as space is so limited. :doh:

W209 CLK 320. Great car, unusually, not a spot of rust. But a massive pain in the a**se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom