w209 clk240 '02 Oil leak advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sebywarlord

Car
clk 230k
Hello ,i have a w208 clk 2.3k , but its time to upgrade a bit,so i found a w209
CLK 240 which seems good to me,from the pictures.
The car is sold by auto-traders not private,they say there is nothing wrong with it,11 months MOT , 140k miles
But the thing is ,i checked the car's MOT history and i saw this :

MOT history of this vehicle

• Test date 2 February 2017
  • Expiry date 1 February 2018
  • Test Result Pass
  • Odometer reading 139,126 miles
  • MOT test number 1149 6955 2738
  • Advisory notice item(s)
    offside front upper Ball joint has slight play (2.2.B.1f)
    oil leak
    front Track rod end ball joint has slight play both (2.2.B.1f)

• Test date 2 February 2017
  • Test Result Fail
  • Odometer reading 139,126 miles
  • MOT test number 2918 2704 7606
  • Reason(s) for failure
    nearside rear Stop lamp not working (1.2.1b)
  • Advisory notice item(s)
    offside front upper Ball joint has slight play (2.2.B.1f)
    oil leak
    front Track rod end ball joint has slight play both (2.2.B.1f)

The thing that concerns me is that "oil leak" advisory notice,i could go to see the car ,of course ,but its 100 miles away,so i was thinking to ask some advice first,before i make the trip.
I am not a mechanic,i don't know many things about oil leaks,what to look for,what problems it could have ,etc.

I recently bought a volvo s60 for a friend,that had an oil leak ,only when the car is runing ,my service told me its a small seal ,but in order to fix it ,they have to take out the gearbox and the engine ,which would cost 500 gbp, obviously i dont want that to happen in my case too.

SO yea,basically i want some advice from you guys.
Thanks

A little update,i called the traders,they told me the oil "leak "is just from the lid from where you put the oil in ,can that cause big problems?

If they mean the oil filler cap then they are cheap to replace.
The question is, why haven't they spent a very small amount of money to replace the lid and clean off the oil.
Smells like bulls**t to me but I am a cynic.

Tony

Thanks for your answer,i have been asking myself the same question.
I got the picture with the oil leak and etc,showed it to my mechanic and he is 90% certain that its not something bad .So i will take a shot.

Are you really sure you want to go for the 2.4l? I think you'll be disappointed. Personally I'd go for a kompressor or the 3.2l.

@shadenfroh

Yea i hate myself,its not even as strong as my old 2.3 kompressor.
I bought the car,everything is ok,oil leak is not an issue,had some problems with it, the ****er that sold it to me didnt leave me enough fuel to get to the petrol station,the car just stopped on a bridge ,i was on the 3rd lane,almost got hit 4 times by other drivers.

Well ,what i was saying,the car is good,but its a bit lazy .I think a remap would help get it to 200 HP atleast.
Or maybe,can i tune it and add a kompressor on it ? that would be nice.
I was thinking about the 3.2 ,but i am only 23 years old,the insurance would have cost me a ****load of money.

The 2.3 is a lot of bang for its size. It really sucks to have buyer's remorse from day 1, but these things happen.

I doubt it will make sense financially to add a kompressor. Drive it around a bit and see how thirsty it is. If you do a lot of stop-and-go traffic, you'll be a sad panda.

Do you still have the old 230K?

@shadenfroh
Yes,they are both in my parking lot.but at the end of the day,i will keep the w209 and sell the w208,maybe in 4-5 months i will buy something else.
Its really ok,when i came to UK i told myself that i have to test as many cars as i can,since they are soo much cheaper than in my country.

But atleast a remap is needed on it.

Low prices are one of the benefits of the closed market (but it works both ways naturally) :) I try not to think about how much I paid for my car in Germany...

Good luck, I hope the car doesn't give you a hard time before you sell it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom