W209 clk500 2006 loud whine noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aliharry

Car
Mercedes W202 C230k
Hi all,

Have a 2006 clk500 (w209) and it just had a full gearbox rebuild including piston, clutch rings, and tcm solenoids however before it went in for a rebuild it had a almost supercharger like whine coming from under the car, the sound has returned after all this work and I cannot identify what it is?

Any suggestions?

Is it engine or road-speed related? Was it still there immediately after the gearbox rebuild, or did it go away for a time?

Is it engine or road-speed related? Was it still there immediately after the gearbox rebuild, or did it go away for a time?
So I did short drive with mechanic to test at gentle speeds and no issue, as soon as I was halfway on my journey back to university I started to hear the whining sound when driving in slow traffic. Since then I started the car again and went for a short drive to test. It’s a constant continuous whine that gets louder the faster I drive through each gear it increases, sound is proportionate to rpm essentially. I can add a video link here later if it helps

Possibly torque converter or gearbox oil pump, were these changed? Both can be quiet until warm.
I'd recommend a second opinion from AMF or Wayne Gates who both know the boxes and all their possible issues

Possibly torque converter or gearbox oil pump, were these changed? Both can be quiet until warm.
I'd recommend a second opinion from AMF or Wayne Gates who both know the boxes and all their possible issues
Torque converter has been done so will need to check the oil pump

Is it like a buzzy whine? Does it come from the engine or under the middle of the car?

Is it like a buzzy whine? Does it come from the engine or under the middle of the car?
Hi olly, it’s from under the car under the drivers side door when I put my ear down it’s louder then in the engine bay, definitely feels tranny related even the shift knob has strong vibration since the rebuild

I would be taking my car back to the guys that built the box. That kind of noise is usually from the torque converter. Was that re-furbished too?

I would be taking my car back to the guys that built the box. That kind of noise is usually from the torque converter. Was that re-furbished too?
The torque converter was refurbished yes, I’m currently in portsmouth when it started playing ip so will have to drive it back down to them this weekend

Low fluid level is a possible cause too. I am happy to check it for you FOC.

Low fluid level is a possible cause too. I am happy to check it for you FOC.
That would be really helpful as it’s on the way home for me. I will hopefully come down Friday, thanks for the help olly :)

Call the workshop before you come and ask for me.

Call the workshop before you come and ask for me.
I spoke to the garage and it’s all been done now it turns out it was in fact the oil pump, which they could not explain as they had already explained it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom