W209 - COMAND Audio upgrades...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martyp87

Car
W166 GLE350d
Okay, please bear with me on this as I have a few questions here. :eek:

I have the COMAND navigation unit in my CLK which also has the telephone, AUX in and 6 CD changer connected.

To get the phone to work I believe I just need to purchase the ViseeO MBU3000 and everything will just work - I have the curly corded phone in the arm rest.

It's the entertainment side I have the questions!

For music, I have been using the CD changer but as I seem to end up buying a new song every couple of days more often than not, I'm using the AUX port and plugging my phone (Blackberry) in as burning CDs is a pain.

I'm thinking about getting a iPod adapter but I'm wondering what the user interface is like. Does it display, artist/track/playlist or is it just like a virtual CD changer showing CD 3 (Playlist 3) Track 75.

Additionally, could you use the iPod to display movies/music videos on the COMAND using the TV button - which currently says, no TV not connected.

I have seen these adapters range from £250-500 so the more features it brings to the table the better - plus I'd need to buy a iPod classic.

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: Just saw the mCar Phone & Digital iPod interface (NTG1/NTG2) on comand.co.uk.

Now, looking at the spec, this would save me purchasing the above phone and act as a iPod/USB music source which would be perfect for me. Am I correct and if you have purchased one of these, what do you think of it?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Phew! Glad I asked as I thought the MBU3000 was just a updated version and would work the same.

Thanks for the link for the memory card player, that would do the trick if no iPod adaptors are available.

I'm not looking to fit the facelifted dash as I don't actually mind the way it looks just now and a new (or second hand) COMAND will cost a fortune and maps are still available for mine from TomTom. If I didn't have the COMAND I would do the upgrade but it's just not worth the expense IMO.

For reference, I have this version:

_MG_6599.jpg

Yes thats Comand 2.0, newer unit is Comand NTG2.

MBU3000 is correct (npuk, MBU3000 just replaced the MBU1000 last week ...). MB3 is a different device for the newer cars.

The COMAND 2.0 does not support CD text, so you can not get a text display when you use an iPod interface (such as the Dension GW500 D2B lite or the MP40) that pretends to be a CDC

There are interfaces that pretend to be TV tuner and give you video and audio input - so you could connect an iPod there - but you;d lose the display when you start driving (unless you get round the Vehicle in Motion interlocks)

Richard

Thanks, yes sorry my mistake I automatcially thought of the MB3, I didnt realise the MBU1000 had been replaced by a newer model.

There are interfaces that pretend to be TV tuner and give you video and audio input - so you could connect an iPod there - but you;d lose the display when you start driving (unless you get round the Vehicle in Motion interlocks)

Hi Richard, thanks for confirming the phone will work.

I will probably go with the SD/CF card reader as that looks perfect and can switch folders (playlists) too.

Do you have any links to the interfaces for the TV input as I'm interested in them. Not worried about viewing when driving.

Thanks, yes sorry my mistake I automatcially thought of the MB3, I didnt realise the MBU1000 had been replaced by a newer model.
It literally happened last week !!! The 3000 has a parrot chipset in it (like the MB3/MB4) and is of course more expensive. It supports siri nicely too.

R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom