W209 COMAND & 'Shark Fin' antenna

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mwstewart

Car
CLK63 Coupe, Ferrari 430 Spider, BMW E46 M3 Manual Coupe, 500+bhp Fiesta
Dear all,
It has been quite a few years since I owned a CLK and I have forgotten what I knew about COMAND.

Does a factory fit COMAND facelift W209 have an antenna in the roof fin? i.e.
s-l1600.jpg

Also, I have noticed a different type of antenna - is the following type for the cabriolet?
s-l1600.jpg

I ask because I am going to swap an Audio 20 for an NTG2 and would prefer to use the factory location. I appreciate it will take more time.

Thank you.

P.S. I seem to remember there may be differing degrees of functionality in the fins - some FM, some FM & GSM, others Nav. Is this correct?

Yes mate the facelift Ones have the shark fin one on the roof colour coded to the car

I'd guess the second one is for the cab as you say as obviously you can't have the shark fin on the collapsing roof..

I have a prefacelift coupe and it didn't have a shark fin even tho it had factory Comand so the second aerial could also be from pre-facelift!

I'm sure Killerhertz will be along shortly to clear this up tho :)

Yes mate the facelift Ones have the shark fin one on the roof colour coded to the car

I'd guess the second one is for the cab as you say as obviously you can't have the shark fin on the collapsing roof..

I have a prefacelift coupe and it didn't have a shark fin even tho it had factory Comand so the second aerial could also be from pre-facelift!

I'm sure Killerhertz will be along shortly to clear this up tho :)

Much appreciated. That helps.

I've got the fin on my roof, and I don't recognise that second picture. - On that basis alone I'd say that clk320x is correct.

The only thing I do have under the floor in my boot is the mobile phone amplifier (part 211 820 08 85).

My 2006 W209 facelift coupe has option 527 COMAND NTG2 and I believe the antenna is the second photo. (for mine it is A209 820 08 75 - ANTENNA REAR WINDOW BOTTOM RIGHT). This antenna also appears to support AUDIO 30 (option 353) and AUDIO 50 (option 525).

I ceratinly don't have a shark's fin, and the stubby black aerial mounted through the glass at the top of the rear window is used for the phone installation.

Suspect the shark's fin is used on model year 2007 onwards. Think this is A209 820 27 75 (latest version) ROOF MOUNTED ANTENNA which appears to support both COMAND and the phone installation.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. That covers it nicely.

Dear all,
It has been quite a few years since I owned a CLK and I have forgotten what I knew about COMAND.

Does a factory fit COMAND facelift W209 have an antenna in the roof fin? i.e.
s-l1600.jpg

Also, I have noticed a different type of antenna - is the following type for the cabriolet?
s-l1600.jpg

I ask because I am going to swap an Audio 20 for an NTG2 and would prefer to use the factory location. I appreciate it will take more time.

Thank you.

The shark fin antennas come in a lot of different configurations depending on what the car has fitted. eg GPS, GSM, AM etc.

The official retrofit location for Comand antenna is under the dashboard on top of the speedometer.

Makes sense I suppose. - If they know what to install when they build the car, the provision is there for it. Otherwise the antennae just go where they go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom