w209 convertible roll bar removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

baser2010

Car
w209 w163 w116
Hi all.
I need to remove the rear pop up roll bars from my 03 w209 cab.
Seats are out and looking at a sea of metal and hex nuts...not sure how to proceed with caution.
Anyone have a copy of the relevant WIS page(s)....or some sagely advice.
I am fairly sure this must be a rare DIY job.
Adam
PS I have no problem with raising and lowering the bars....just want to remove them altogether for a minute.

OK...worked it out.
After all the seats are out.
You have to remove the black metal that sits across the length of the back seat. That required roving two black plastic bits associated with the roof trim to access three bolts.
Once that is out you need to remove the top anchor point of the safety belt and the black panel holding in its reel.
then you disconnect the TWO plug connected to the bottom of the roll bar unit...just shove your hand up there and feel for them...easy enough.
Then undo the eight large torx bolts that hold the unit in...and done!
And then....you can get your leather on your roll bar retrimmed!
A large effort for a bit of leather repair.
Will post some images in the morning.
PS....make sure you have the roll bars UP before you start...dont want to get hit in the face when it unsprings.
To manually make them go up there is an indentation in the rear of the boot that you need to cut...then shove the mercedes tool in there (same one as for lowering)..hit some sort of trigger and bam...up they go.

DIY Roll Bar removal images

OK.
We are trying to take out this.

first remove the seats..there is a WIS page somewhere for this.
With the roof UP...find the indentations in the boot and cut out the lower section of the circles (as per the below image).

Next remove the top bolt from the safety belt.

We want to remove the black metal that runs the full length of the seat at the top. To get at a few bolts we need to remove two plastic bits on each side. These:

and

You should put the roof half way to get easier access....DONT GO in there for a minute though as it can self activate after 30 seconds or so.
Then put the roof down.
Insert the mercedes tool (or a long hex key or anything else) and pop up the roll bars using the hole you cut earlier.
Then unbolt the black metal bar...there are millions of hex bolts (including some hidden behind the roll bar, which is why it needs to be raised.)

Next take out the inertia reel for the safety belt.

Then remove the TWO plugs from the bottom of the roll bar unit. Just shove your hand up there and feel for them.

OK...getting there.
Now take out the 8 torx bolts that hold the roll bar unit it.

Then simple pull the unit out from the top and you are done.
ALSO whilst the seats are out.....lube up your parking brake cables.
Three bolts holding a black panel in the centre of the seats.

Helpful hints.
Some bluetack (the stuff you use to put posters on walls) on the end of the torx bit will save frustration of dropped bolts.
The roof will have to go up and down a lot...pay attention to tools etc...dont leave them in the wrong spot.
Watch for the roof closing itself after a few seconds if it is only a little bit up.
Bonus.
You will master pushing down the roll bars if they pop-up.
(My local dealership wanted to charge me two hours and a star diagnose fee for lowering them after a bump in the road set them off...a job that takes all of two minutes...he could have done it the time he spent giving me the quote.
And that was the first and list time I went there.)

Attachments

• DSC00502.JPG
    DSC00502.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC00503.JPG
    DSC00503.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC00509.jpg
    DSC00509.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back