W209 Headlamp Connector (Main beam)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

s4syth

Car
W209
Good morning all. I've installed some aftermarket DRL's which look amazing on my W209. I have used an 'add a circuit' and piggy backed onto the fuse for interior glove box/cigarette lighter, so that the lights come on full power when the car is switched on. The lights have the ability to go to 50% brightness if wired into the main beam wire of the headlight, so gives it the oem function.

I have tested each wire with my volt meter, but cannot determine, which wire i need? Any help will be much appreciated.
I am looking for the main beam, positive switched wire.

Please see attached picture of RH headlamp connector and DRL,s. :)

Many thanks

Attachments

• 20201120_152640.jpg
    20201120_152640.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20201127-123833_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201127-123833_Gallery.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
It’s the white wire.
Personally I would connect into the grey/red wire as then it will activate/dim with sidelights.
Your method means they will still be bright on dip beam. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Any likelihood of the CANbus system becoming confused ? They do look very good and I love the Sport front.

It’s the white wire.
Personally I would connect into the grey/red wire as then it will activate/dim with sidelights.
Your method means they will still be bright on dip beam. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Thank you Ted, much appreciated.
They were recommended to be on Full brightness with side light and i did try this method first. I didn't like the fact that i had to have side light on to have these on. That wasn't OEM look either.
I will probably try both your methods and see which one i prefer. 👍

Reactions: Ted
Any likelihood of the CANbus system becoming confused ? They do look very good and I love the Sport front.
I don't think so. I have had led bulbs in the side lights for over a year now and no issues. If i do, then i can revert back to as is now, as they are not dependent on the headlights. 👍

No, maybe I didn’t make it clear.
Full brightness with ignition on as you have it, then dimming with the sidelights on.
I did this on my clk (but used the foglights to make it look oem) 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

No, maybe I didn’t make it clear.
Full brightness with ignition on as you have it, then dimming with the sidelights on.
I did this on my clk (but used the foglights to make it look oem) 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
What bulbs did you use for these? I have tried to upgrade my foglight to something that matches my headlights. Not that I drive why my fogs on, I HATE idiots that do that! It is more that I have fitted projector lamps and want to use the LED side light bulbs to make them look right but when you unlock the car and it puts the sides and fogs on, they don't match. I like the the DRL foglight idea, that is about as close to OEM as you can get for a CLK, hat off to you for that. I'd be very interested in doing mine if you'll share the info.

That URL doesn't work for me.

The bit that I am struggling with is exactly what the bulb looks like. I have the same fogs as you and I have now bought so many different types of bulb that are "definitely" for my car I have a cupboard full of them. The issue is always the same, the holder will not fit the lamp. It is an H7 bulb in a holder, how are you replacing the bulb for something that requires more wires as you won't be able to use the OEM holder and I can't find anything that fits it.

Can anyone shed any light on how they have done this please?

Also, I've been directed at Probright a couple of times and I see talk of there being an English version/option but I cannot find it at all. Again, I'd appreciate a pointer.

Attachments

• 009903AF-B7D5-431A-AD4B-A0058A4DF837_1_105_c.jpeg
    009903AF-B7D5-431A-AD4B-A0058A4DF837_1_105_c.jpeg
    257.9 KB · Views: 0
Try this,

Also Killerhertz did a really neat job of fitting drls to his car a while back along with a howto. That was a lot more ‘professional’ than mine. Worth doing a search on the forum for it.
Regarding the bulb, the correct bulb is not what a lot of sites say it is. I think it may be a H3 or H1, even though this looks wrong - iirc the holder looks like one for a xenon bulb but it isn’t.
I’ll have a look round and see if I can find anything.

Edit: nope, I think H7 is the correct one for the AMG style bumper.

Last edited:
Thanks Ted.

I know the bulb is H7 but it sits in a holder which it can't do if you replace the bulb for a different type, I'm trying to understand how you fitted different bulbs but keep the lamp sealed and added the extra wires? Did you use an adapter and if so, what was it?

Cheers

@Blobsta it’s a few years since I did it, but iirc I just used an led H7 in the holder which fitted fine. Again, iirc there is a short fly lead to a plug/socket. I split this and connected/spliced the old bulbs into the supply wires so the foglight circuit was exactly as original. This defeats any bulb failure and does away with adding resistors. Just make sure the bulbs are ty-rapped away from anything that might melt.
I then spliced MY wiring - ignition feed (via a dimmer unit) and earth into the short tail wires from the bulb holder.
Hope that makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom