W209 key fob battery draining

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brutu583

Car
2002 W209 CLK240
Hi Guys,

I've got a weird problem with my key fob. The batteries are draining after just over a week. Could there be a short?

These remotes fobs transmit on Infrared and an RF signal (Radio Frequency)
If a button were stuck ON /shorted then that could drain the remote fob battery/s
There is a test for an infrared remote fob through a digital camera as depicted in the video below.

[YOUTUBE]zQhwvjw29NA[/YOUTUBE]

There is also a test for RF in the picture below, not necessarily proof of the presence an actual RF signal but its presence would confirm consumption of power via a remote fob button.

The RF sounds like this here… http://homepage.eircom.net/~decdec/fobsound.wma

attachment.php

If either signal is detected while any of the remote fobs buttons ARE NOT being intentionally depressed then that’s the only way you could detect a drain in a remote fob, without special equipment.

Otherwise, are the correct and good quality batteries being fitted into the remote…OR…is it that it’s the car batteries that’s being drained and the remote fob batteries are not the problem.

Dec

Just tried checking the ir beam with a camera. No buttons are stuck :/

Cheap batteries? Keys in pocket & button being constantly pressed?

Not cheap batteries. Tried Duracell,maxell,energiser and Varta lithiums. The pocket thing is doubtful coz when I use the spare it doesn't happen. What it could be is the pins in the battery compartment might be shorting the key. So I switched compartments with the spare and taped a new set of batteries to the key just incase they die whilst I'm out. If that doesn't work, I think I need to order a new one :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom