W209 Power Steering Fluid Change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HenryHill

Car
CLK 350 Sport
Hi all,

Absolutely loving this site and it has helped me carry out a few jobs on my W209 V6 350 Cabrio.

My next job is to flush to power steering fluid using this guys method..
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My question is, can anyone tell me the size of the Low Pressure return pipe to the pump as I need to make sure I have the correct size of drain pipe and pipe barb.

Of course, if anyone has any tips or a better method please let me know

Cheers

HH

I don't know if it's better, but I've always used the turkey baster method. No need to cut any pipes, or even get underneath the car.
1. With the engine off, use the baster to empty the reservoir.
2. Move the steering full range back & forth a few times.
3. Repeat 1 & 2 until you can't get any more fluid out of the reservoir.
4. Refill the reservoir with new fluid.
5. With the engine running, move the steering full range left-right. Don't hold the steering wheel on full lock for more than a second.
6. Check level & top up reservoir.
7. Repeat 5 & 6 until no more top ups required.

Obviously, this leaves a small amount of old fluid in the system, so I repeat at the next service, after which the steering is back to silky smooth (if lacking feel compared to the MR2 ...)

Ian.

I don't know if it's better, but I've always used the turkey baster method. No need to cut any pipes, or even get underneath the car.
1. With the engine off, use the baster to empty the reservoir.
2. Move the steering full range back & forth a few times.
3. Repeat 1 & 2 until you can't get any more fluid out of the reservoir.
4. Refill the reservoir with new fluid.
5. With the engine running, move the steering full range left-right. Don't hold the steering wheel on full lock for more than a second.
6. Check level & top up reservoir.
7. Repeat 5 & 6 until no more top ups required.

Obviously, this leaves a small amount of old fluid in the system, so I repeat at the next service, after which the steering is back to silky smooth (if lacking feel compared to the MR2 ...)

Ian.

Thanks for the reply.

I had seen this method but thought it would be better to do a flush but its good to hear from someone that uses it with success. I have a question...when carrying out No.5 do I replace the reservoir cap?

Cheers

HH

Re: reservoir cap - good question.
I did worry that air in the system might 'burp' out the fluid as it purged, but it didn't seem to happen. So, either on or off.
BTW, I found that the standard 1 litre bottle of PS fluid was enough both flushes. I bought it from the MB dealer, but I suspect it's actually Pentosin CHF11S.
Ian.

Ian,

Makes sense, I believe the car takes 1ltr and so it looks like it takes 2 "turkey baster's" to do a whole change but as you say it is easier and less messier.....time to order a Baster!!!

I have the fluid, bought it from local LINCO a few days ago.

Thanks again

HH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom