W209 rear wheel noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fabes

MB Enthusiast
Car
E 400 Coupe and X-Trail
This is bugging me

Had a B service early summer and passed its MOT with no advisories 3 weeks ago

BUT

When driving along above 20mph, I can hear a metallic intermittent / constant noise like a disc is warped, a pad is rubbing, a caliper has seized etc
Rear wheel, near side

Had the wheel off (sheesh, they're heavy) but could only see a minor bit of scoring on the disc (one line, one third of the way in)

car is not pulling to one side, brakes work fine, (had rear pads fitted at service from local Indy) and nothing reported back on the noise

I could just ignore it, I could turn the volume up, but has anyone any ideas?

I may just pop it back down to the garage (MBS in Southampton) but before I do has anyone come across this before?

Cheers

Just fixed a very similar noise on a 212 this week. Thought, and sounded like, it was a trapped stone or a broken parking brake spring.

Turned out to be the little stainless clip that the parking brake shoes pivot on had worked its way out slightly and was scraping on the inside of the disc.

Thanks for the pointers

Further investigation tonight still didn't turn up any stone etc and my brain is tuned into it now whenever I drive :crazy:

So into the garage next week to get up on the ramp and sorted (along with something else that's cropped up...:wallbash:)

Will let you know

Possibly corroded back plates.

Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom