W209 stereo fascia adapter.... again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aswall

Car
CLS 350
I know i've asked this before but I thought I'd try again to see if anything new has come to light. I'm looking for a fascia adapter so I can remove the Audio 10 and replace it with a DIN sized Alpine unit and am not having much luck. I thought that my best chance was to look for one for a W203 as the centre console looked the same as mine and have found the following

1) a W203 plate with DIN size hole but with a blanking plate where the cubby box would be

2) a W203 plate with a DIN size hole and cubby box about half the height, making me think maybe the W203 isn't the same as mine

3) an adapter described as "2002 230 coupe" on www.autotoys.com that does look the same as mine.

I am slightly baffled by this last one, I thought the 230k engine had been removed from the range and replaced by the 240 so is this referring to an old shape CLK or is the 230 engine still made in the little hatchback C class?

I'm a bit dubious about ordering from the US, especially as I can't tell whether any of these would fit. Are there any places in the UK that are likely to be able to do these?

Hasn't anyone with a W209 or W203 changed to a DIN size stereo?

I've trawled the internet using every possible combination of words and would be grateful if anyone has found something I have'nt

Cheers
Andy

hi i have seen a pioneer brochure with a fascia plate fitted and also a new trim panel that gives 2 din holes, it was about 6 months agao, but might be worth trying a pioneer shop

cheers

kenny

Thanks Kenny I'll check that out

Cheers
Andy

Try Autoleads - they supply all sorts of facia plates, speaker adaptor plates and stereo wiring harnesses. I think they sell via Halfords, but their website is www.autoleads.co.uk They list a facia adaptor for the W203 C class saloon as part no. FP-23-01.

You may lose the use of the steering wheel controls, dependent upon which manufacturer of head unit you go for - Alpine are generally very up to speed with steering wheel button harnesses, but the latest Mercs may be problematic (remember the CD changer cable is part fibre optic, so guess the steering wheel controls may be the same).

Other than that try either Prestige audio or SQ Plus in Manchester, both of whom build top notch systems and are recognised as the best in the business. They should be able to supply something , even if they have to fabricate it from GRP themselves (could be a neat solution if you want something custom instead of the storage slot below the head unit).

The steering wheel controls are not linked by fibre optic - just can bus - 2 wires.

Yes Autoleads was the first place I looked but there is no picture of their fascia plate on the site so I'm not sure whether it would be likely to fit mine. I have contacted alpine who confirm that their adapter will work with my steering controls and the 9815RB no problem

Does it also display the radio display on the dash cluster as well just like the OEM radio ?

1) a W203 plate with DIN size hole but with a blanking plate where the cubby box would be

2) a W203 plate with a DIN size hole and cubby box about half the height, making me think maybe the W203 isn't the same as mine

3) an adapter described as "2002 230 coupe" on www.autotoys.com that does look the same as mine.

Cheers
Andy [/B][/QUOTE]

The 2o3 one must fit into the same space as the comand units for the 203 and the 209 are identicle . SO , the space must be the same size.

Ahh thanks Jason, just the info I was looking for - conclusive proof that they are the same, that should make my task easier.

Regarding the dash display, don't know I'm afraid, forgot to ask but I will find out and post the info when I do

Cheers
Andy

im considering fitting a clarion motorised screen to my w203. but want to fit it in the lower slot to the oringinal radio. so as not to block switches when in use does any one know if this is possible .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom