W209 Xenon Earth Point

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Can anybody confirm the earthing points for W209s for the Xenon lights?

As of previous threads mine fail to start sometimes and need restarting before working perfectly

Will check earth before replacing bulbs or SAM? As both sides are affected not sure if last owner put in cheap bulbs, as unlikely both Ballasts/igniters have failed?

Odd how they work perfectly once switched on but require restarting to get them to switch on, after which sometimes one or both will switch on and function perfectly

Many thanks

Had a look at the suspected earth point..

Just near the coolant reservoir and can't see any obvious corrosion?

Photos:

IMG_2958.png

IMG_2959.png

As the issue is affecting both bulbs, and it's unlikely both igniters/ballasts have failed. Also as once the lights are on (by restarting few times) they work perfectly I am thinking:

- bad earth (but can't see any obvious rust please see pics)
- previous owner fitted cheap bulbs but this issue arises around 1 month after I bought it maybe he fitted it with cheap bulbs before selling?
- faulty sam unit? eBay for £40? Not sure as all other electronics woek perfectly

I'm thinking:
Step 1 - clean the earth
Step 2 - if that doesn't help change both bulbs
Step 3 - replace Sam?

Any help greatly appreciated

P.S all other bulbs work fine on headlamp

High beam etc

Anyone? :D

Hello
in my opinion it's either the bulbs are going to burn out soon, hence needing multiple tries before they light up, or a relay problem of the headlight harness.
Can supply you with great quality HID bulbs with 18months warranty if you need :)
Hope it helps.

It's not the earth because both sides do not share one earth.

It's not the earth because both sides do not share one earth.

Hey

What do you think it may be then?

A few days ago it decided it wanted to work for the whole day and the next day for half a day... through multiple restarts :(

So confused

Cheers

Hello
in my opinion it's either the bulbs are going to burn out soon, hence needing multiple tries before they light up, or a relay problem of the headlight harness.
Can supply you with great quality HID bulbs with 18months warranty if you need :)
Hope it helps.

Hey

How much are we looking at for the bulbs?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom