W210 £400 rust repair.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NicDale

Car
'91 190E 2.5-16V
Have had the car back since last week but only now got round to getting some quick pictures, never did manage to get some before pictures.

Picture063.jpg

Scab starting in the corner of the rear panel just above the chrome. Was about 2 inches in size.

Picture064.jpg

All the arch was rusted here, also around 5 inches from the arch along the bottom of the rear quarter.

Picture065.jpg

Picture066.jpg

The other side of the same arch. Was rusted all the way round.

Picture068.jpg

A bit of paint around 8 inches long 2inches in depth from the arch in to the wing had come away here.

Picture069.jpg

Rusted all the way round this arch, all the way along the bottom of the front wing.

Picture070.jpg

Passenger side front wing, rusted all the way along the bottom and around the arch.

Picture071.jpg

Other side of the arch

Picture072.jpg

Dent in the door gone.

Picture073.jpg

Arch sorted and along the bottom of the panel.

Not bad i reckon, i need to take a picture of the door with the 2inch rust scab in the middle too. Used a local garage, didn't expect it to be an amazing repair but just enough to keep the car looking smart, and in my opinion it does just that!

Looks good:) nearside rear bunper doesnt line up with wheel arch properly only a few bolts and a quick wiggle to fix.

Got to get mine done this year.

Lynall

Looks good,
You might want to get the Blacksill area done aswell otherwise 6months down the line it will spread again:

Picture066.jpg

Could you not get the rust repaired for free under the 30 year warranty? I'm currently looking for a W210 to buy so this is a subject I am very interested in.

I have read that some people had no problems getting an awful lot of rusty bodywork repaired for free, but others have been through hell and high water and got nothing for free. Has anybody got any experiences they can share?

Could you not get the rust repaired for free under the 30 year warranty? I'm currently looking for a W210 to buy so this is a subject I am very interested in.

I have read that some people had no problems getting an awful lot of rusty bodywork repaired for free, but others have been through hell and high water and got nothing for free. Has anybody got any experiences they can share?

8 years is the cut off time. Cars must have a service record, but some have got away without it. I had rust treated on mine, but the dealership took photocopies off all the stamps in my service book, and mine were all MB. If the car has had paintwork by anyone other than mercedes, your claim will also be declined. They have a tool to measure paint thickness, and will know if its been painted.

When you're buying a car which is really known for rust problems then i think it's a bit cheeky to expect MB to fork out for it, i bought both my w210's knowing that they would rust and i'd have to pay to fix them, thats a tool for negotiation on the purchase price IMO.

hi - where does it say there's an 8 year cut-off ? theres lots of speculation surrounding the mobilo product but it says 30 years on the packet.

if mb sub-engineered their car's body protection and sold it as a rock solid proposition, why shouldn't they fork out for repairs now we've all found out ???

hi - where does it say there's an 8 year cut-off ? theres lots of speculation surrounding the mobilo product but it says 30 years on the packet.

Not for rust, just for 'perforation form inside to outside' and the car has to have met all the conditions of service.

MB are confident they will never make a Mobilo-Life corrosion payment.

whats the difference between rust and perforation ?

Rust is just general rust, usually raw edge rust, perforation is holes right through from the inside of a panel.
That's just not going to happen due to the insides being organically galvanised...at least not before the car looks a disgrace from external rust.

where did u get this done from?

has any oen elce got any info on this rust problem they mercedes can sort out for free sounds very interesting as herd a few people say the same thing but whant to know if it is totaly true then try and bee cheeky to get mine done still one owner car and full history

Dieselman is correct.

I doubt anyone with a current active W210 that has rust will ever get anything (££, contribution) back from MB.

More loopholes than a goverment/bank incentive scheme.

i.e It's never going to happen.

Spend your time looking for decent qoutes and people that can do the job - There are a few members on here that can do the bodywork

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom