w210 16inch wheels to 17inch wheels ok?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LawrenceMB

Car
Work wagon: 1998 S210 E320 . Holidays: 2000 S210 E55. Sunny days! 2000 CLK430
Hi again,
Firstly a Big thanks to everyone on this forum - it's invaluable:thumb:
Question please: I've got a chance to get a set of 17inch wheels & tyres at a fair price which I was thinking of getting as a spare set for my W210 e320 elegance estate, which currently has the origional 16inch wheels fitted. Will the 17inch set go straight on without any drama? And what about the ride - I've heard the bigger wheels with their smaller profile sidewalls make for a stiffer ride & easier to damage the wheels & tyres on potholes? Is this right or is it not enough to notice?
I quite like the soft ride of the car the way it is being an elegance - I guess I must be in the pipe-and-slippers camp?!!
Thanks,
Lawrence

Facelift Avantgard had optional 17" wheels. If you fit larger wheels without lowering the suspension it will look like a dune buggy.

Facelift Avantgard had optional 17" wheels. If you fit larger wheels without lowering the suspension it will look like a dune buggy.
Brillaint Deiselman! Thanks for taking the time to reply with such valuable info - much appreciated:thumb:
Cheers!

What are the alloys you`re thinking to buy??You need to make sure the offset is good for your car
Going from 16s to 17s is no big deal ride wise

What are the alloys you`re thinking to buy??You need to make sure the offset is good for your car
Going from 16s to 17s is no big deal ride wise
I looked at the table as appears in a link in the 'Sticky' topics in this subject & apparently the offset is only '4' different - which I'm guessing is measured in millimeters? Sound about right?
Thanks,
Lawrence

Use this:

Alloy Wheels Direct Ltd | Fitting Chart Index

to determine the correct size wheels, and tyres.

The overall size of the wheels and tyres will be the same, and will look fine, many people have 17s on the Elegance. And many people in other countries have 17s and 18s on their 4matics. 4matics ride higher than the Elegance, and look well on the bigger wheels...so, I'm not sure it would look like a dune buggy.

Last edited:
I have the 17" wheel factory option on my 210 Avantgarde - I think it also has lower 'sports' suspension as part of the option overall.

IMHO it looks superior to the standard wheeled car but does ride firmer - in speedbumpy SW London a bit of an issue for me, but I'm 6 years into ownership and still love the old beast:

attachment.php

nice one gentleman - all very helpful as usual ! So glad I found this forum :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom