W210 - 2002 200 Kompressor - Observations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vectrolosys

Car
91 300TE, 88 XJ40 3.6
Hello,

At the garage that I bought my 300TE from, I spied a rather nice, dark metallic blue W210 200 Kompressor, at Classic trim level. I was chatting with the propietor about it, noted it was a 2002 model and remarked that it is probably better built than the earlier ones. He was suprisingly honest when he told me that it had quite a bit of rust developing. A quick tour of the car showed rust starting on the front wing, under the headlight, and some rust staining just beginning on both rear arches.

I was rather disappointed tbh, I've read into depth about the rust problems the W210 suffers from, but thought they had the issue licked by the facelift. It's the main thing that puts me off a W210, which is a shame as the E430 in estate form and Avantgarde trim, would make an ideal car for me.

James

all the W210's rust..

A shame :(. Is the amount of rust dependant on colour? Sounds strange, but on other manufacturers cars, I;ve noted that certain colours rust more than others, in the case of the early Rover 800 series (1986-1988) , Atlantic blue metallic models seems to disolve before your eyes, whereas Gunmetal grey metallic examples seemed to survive in very reasonable condition.

So much for new, pioneering water based paint processes :(

Every one i have seen is rusting in the same places as mine both front wings above where it meeets the bumper same on the rear 1/4 panels and the bottm of the rear doors near the sills.

Lynall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom