W210 320 CDI, Gearbox gees to Neutral under hard acceleration??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rizlar

Car
E320 CDI Estate AMG spec
Hello, I have a year 2000 E320 CDI W210 with 68k on the clock which I have had a month.

A few weeks ago I was coming off a roundabout and floored it. The gearbox immediately went into neutral and the revs obviously hit the redline. I eased off and went to pull over but as I slowed down the car went back into drive and everything was fine and the gearbox worked as normal. It hasn't been a problem until today when my wife was accelerating hard down a slip road to get up to traffic speed before coming on to a busy road, as she got onto the road it went into neutral before sorting it'self out again as the car slowed. The cars behind had to brake as she slowed down. Obviously this could be a bit dangerous.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing it. Not sure when the gearbox was last serviced if ever. Many Thanks

Check ATF levels.

Brilliant, thanks for the quick replies, I'll get the oil level checked.

So the car went into the friendly MB dealer and they checked the ATF level which was fine, it turns out that they reckon that the problem was to do with the intercooler. The intercooler was cracked and was therefore not working as it should so the engine wasn't getting enough boost, which in turn confused the engine management system and thus it didn't control the gearbox properly. They have changed the intercooler and the car does seem "a bit" more responsive but I haven't had a chance to test it under hard acceleration yet to see if it has cured the problem, but they have assured me it has.

Hi
Is the problem still cured?

Yes, it seems to be completely cured, I've had the chance to drive the car quite hard it just takes off as it should when I ask it to.

Hello, this problem re-ocurred last night. It's been fine for that last few months, but happened again when I booted it off a round-a-bout. To be fair the car was quite heavily loaded and I really put my foot down hard. The oil in the gearbox level was fine when checked abt 2-3 thousand miles ago so I don't think it's that. It could be a problem with the intercooler and lack of boost again but I haven't noticed a drop in power.

Is it possible that the gearbox goes into neutral to protect itself under very heavy load? or would a gearbox oil change be advisable even though level is OK?

To my knowledge its fluid that does the job as clutch in manual. If your is going in neultral or we should say is slipping and thats way if feel as it goes into neutral I would recommend to do gearbox service. Do it with merc filters and gaskets and flush it completly and DEFENETLY USE merc proper fluid and that I think should be solved. If not then that would ver ywierd as if electric been bust then mechanics at dealer would see gearbox codes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom