w210 320 cdi om613 crankshaft position sensor is stuck. Any top tips for removal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Afraid not. I am doing this by the side of the road where the car broke down.
In that case, you have my greatest respect for even attempting this sort of work outside in winter!

In that case, you have my greatest respect for even attempting this sort of work outside in winter!
No choice really. It takes at least 2 weeks to get an appointment at my local MB indy and they are 15 miles away so nothing to lose. Just hope i can get the remains of the sensor out tommorrow and have my om613 torque monster back on the road.

There are some access holes at the bottom of the gearbox or engine for when you need to remove the gearbox. So you might be able to hoover up any loose parts from there.

Just in case some other poor sod has to do this job in the future i will go through how i extracted a stuck crankshaft position sensor from a S210 320 cdi (om 613).

The CPS has one fixing which is a male torx bolt. This attaches to the bellhousing on a tab to the CPS (facing towards the rear of the car) which means it cannot be rotated once secured in place. If you discover once the bolt is removed that the CPS will not just pull vertically out then you need to get a chisel or sharp screwdriver and break up the plastic CPS tab in situ. This allows you to then get a vice grip on the CPS body and hopefully rotate the sensor out of the hole. Plusgas or some other good dismantling lubricant is your friend here.

If the sensor decides to self destruct at this point then a sharp screwdriver and a hammer will be needed to break up the plastic sensors remains in the hole in the bellhousing. I found that very little debris fell into the bellhousing as the flywheel is right there at the bottom of the CPS sensor hole. Then use tweezers or long nose needle pliers to extract the remains. If you are worried that you may drop the tweezers into the bellhousing put a loop of fishing wire around the tweezers and attach to your wrist.

Then you will need to use a needle file or a roll of abrasive to file the corrosion on the inside of the bellhousing CPS hole so you can fit the new sensor snugly home.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom