W210 320cdi - new diesel pump and swirl flaps deleted - problems!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joolz250

Car
2002 e 320 cdi
Hi all,
Long story but here goes!
W210 320 CDi with 156k, 2002 model: I replaced the plastic fuel lines at 142k last year. A few weeks back it developed a significant fuel leak from high pressure pump- few days later diesel had gotten into belt and pulleys , and caused the belt to slip off.

Got the car home , pulled the pump off and replaced with a refurbished pump from commonraildiesels.com

With the car off the road I took the opportunity to pull the inlet manifold and egr to check and clean as I had no record of it ever being done ( I bought the car at 140k miles)

... I found the usual horror story - inlet and egr full of soot and gunk, cylinder head ports heavily caked in gooey soot - about 5 MM. thick in places, but worst of all , three of the swirl flaps had broken off completely and presumably had been ingested by the engine. So I deleted the swirl flaps , tapped and plugged the holes, kept the actuator motor installed, cleaned everything and put it all back together. Flushed and replaced coolant and changed the oil. Changed air filter and fitted a new auxiliary belt.( the fuel filter was done at 142k)

Having completely drained the fuel pipes I had the usual problems with excessive cranking to bleed air out and get the engine started but eventually it fired back into life.

Initially it was very very lumpy and died. After a few minutes of this a bit of revving in neutral resulted in a big cloud of smoke and then it settled into a smooth idle.

So with that I took it for a drive today, keeping to quiet local roads just in case something went south! I had 15 mins of trouble tree driving, kick down still there, turbo boosting fine. I did notice increased black smoke on kick down. It smoked before all this work. More so now. Temperature was approaching 80. Then I went to join a faster road - floored it, kicked down, smoke then sudden loss of power, super lumpy with a horrendous knocking sound. I limped into a lay by. After about 10 mins I restarted - very lumpy- revved it, puff of smoke, then seemed fine again. Limped home! Now scratching my head, !

Any ideas / suggestions?
Thanks!

..I had a specific question also- could someone please tell me what the two sensors are on the inlet side? I have one in the aluminium pipe leading into bottom of inlet manifold and another higher up on the side of the mixing chamber. Thank you

The sensor is the MAP sensor

Which one is MAP? The higher or lower one?
Thanks

Update - I found that I had not properly re- attached the pipes into and out of the intercooler and both had partially blown out! I am kicking myself but also hopeful this was the cause of the breakdown. I'm thinking a very sudden loss of boost would have caused over fuelling and hence all the smoke.... Pipes properly re attached now - let's see what happens !

^^ Yes that will be the reason you had problems

The top one with the two bolts holding it in is the MAP sensor. The other one doesn't seem to be able to be bought separately and doesn't have a part number on EPC

Ok so this problem persists! Car seems fine until it goes into kick down. Similar to before - kick down - surge- loss of power , smoke, juddering , pulled over and engine died. Restarted, very lumpy, lots of grey / dark grey ( not blue ) smoke. Revved it a bit, settled back into regular idle. Then drove 3 miles home gingerly minimising boost, seems ok. I'm running out of ideas ??!

Have you checked the pipe hasn't blown off again?

Check everything in this LINK and then get the codes read

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom