W210 320CDI RAC report - Advice needed please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boggie

Hi All,

I just got the RAC report on the car we are planning to buy. It lists a few problems, most are minor such as scuffed wheels, stone chip in screen, small crack in wheel arch liner etc.

There are a couple of parts missing: Small grille next to front fog light, drivers side sill tread plate and one of the rubber jacking pads. I presume these are small and cheap enough to get from my local dealer or do any of you know somewhere cheaper?

The 2 main points of concern are:

The lack of key for the locking wheel nuts - can I get one from the dealer?

An oil leak on the turbo. He thinks it may be a simple matter of a pipe but estimated it would cost about £900 in a worse case scenario of the turbo needing replacement. I am hoping that after only 42K miles it is most likely to be a pipe as Turbos, especially on diesel cars usually last a lot longer. Any thoughts or experiences gratefully received.

Many thanks, Boggie

Oil leak from turbo is worrying and you won't know if it is just a leak from a pipe or the actual turbo until it is looked at and I would personally be cautious. If a turbo leaks then chances are likely that some point in near future it will fail and need replacing.

All the other small bits are minor and relatively cheap/reasonably priced from MB. Lock nut key you ca get from MB as long as the original lock nuts are fitted when the vehicle left the factory. correct lock nut key can be identified from the vehicle’s chassis/vin details.

I'm surprised at the cracked wheelarch liner.
The missing jacking point locator and towing eye grille are annoying but not essential, but it shows it has been towed at some point, but nothing in that really.
Get those bits either from the dealer or a breaker such as mercman in Southampton, or forum member NickMercedes may be able to help.

You can buy a new locking key from the dealer for about £17.

The turbo does depend on whether it's an external leak, internal leak or just oil vapour in the air intake having settled.

Why don't you look at it in this light, is a £900 bill for possibly rectifying a turbo in the future less than the higher price you would pay in buying the car from a dealer, I would use it as a bargaining tool, although when turbo leaked oil I was told it would cost a lot more than that to rectify!

Thanks All,

It can't be much of a leak as there are no visible oil patches on the owner's light coloured driveway and only a slight trace on the under body tray. He said that he has not noticed any oil leak and according to the service book it had a MB service just 4K ago.

I think I will take the risk, after all we paid considerably less than book for the car so even if the turbo gets replaced at MB prices we will still be a couple of grand up.

We are picking it up on Saturday - My wife can't wait! (and will be glad to see the back of our V40 TD)

Cheers, B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom