W210 320cdi won't start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
Started the 210 320cdi this morning - turned it straight on without waiting for the glowplug light to extinguish (the confusion of regularly switching between petrol and diesel) so as it was chugging over trying to start switched the ignition back to off. Let it go through the full glowplug cycle but nothing, just a clicking sound. Kept trying, have checked all the fuses - the red 10 amp one on the right side of the engine bay was fused, replaced that, still nothing.

Anything to look for before calling out the recovery boys?

I can only mention that the cdi engines dont need to wait for the g/plug light to extinguish, i always start mine instantly on putting the key in ignition.........

Could be the battery if it's just clicking now. Was the initial cranking over slower than usual?

Battery is being charged - it was down to 11v. I don't recall it being slower, it was fine yesterday, but I'll let it charge itself up fully and hope...

I had a similar problem with my CDi recently. I needed a new battery as one of the cells had failed.

11v is why you got 'clicking' only, if the battery has seen a few years then sudden failure of it is not uncommon as a build up of sulfate on the plates breaks away and internally shorts the battery.

Last edited:
+1

11v sounds like you have a cell down. Should be reading nearer 12.5-13v on a healthy battery.

Could be time for a new battery if the old one is 5/6 years old plus :)

Will

Well, charged it up to 13.4 and no problems, the car hasn't been run much of late, so battery hasn't had a good charge in some time. I'll see how it performs before I fit a new one - it looks relatively young.

If I do have to replace it, that will be the second battery in a month on my fleet and a questionable one in my SM. :(

Charles. It's your fault.

You mentioned selling it. It's now going to teach you a lesson.

Can you swap a battery from within your fleet to test?

It's Mocas's fault. If he hadn't posted about this, the car wouldn't have developed ideas above its station.

Anyway, I was able to move it so my Allard could get out of the garage to be put on a recovery truck to get to North American Motors in Farnborough where the drum brakes are to be sorted. Drove it yesterday and it was pretty hairy. So now I'm off there. Then sort out the road tax on the SM and the MB, then next week get the front disc pads on the SM and its MOT done.

Too many cars and too much time and money spent on sorting them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom