W210 4 speed auto dipstick

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fat Freddie

Car
E320
Probably a daft question but I don't have a handbook and I've just noticed there's what looks like a transmission dipstick in my car. I'd always assumed these didn't have one but there's definitely a long tube going down the back of the engine on the driver's side of my 96 E320 (4 speed auto straight 6)

I've had a look on the site search facility but can't find anything conclusive so can I ask, is this a user checkable dipstick or not?
It has an odd looking top and says 'Mercedes workshop only' or something similar on it but I couldn't figure out how to open it up and didn't want to break it.

Also, if the transmission does need a top up (it works fine, I just like to keep an eye on things) what ATF do I need to use?

Thanks.

Yes, the tube is for a dip stick...but there isn't one in there.

You can buy a dipstick off eBay, but make sure it is the correct one for your transmission. I believe you will have to break the red locking clip in the dipstick tube cover to remove it, then replace it with a new clip to secure the cover afterwards.

You can buy a dipstick off eBay, but make sure it is the correct one for your transmission. I believe you will have to break the red locking clip in the dipstick tube cover to remove it, then replace it with a new clip to secure the cover afterwards.

What a daft arrangement, won't be getting done then. Cheers anyway.:eek:

They told me that there was not one in mine ........ so I bought one from MB ....... when I came to do the job, surprise surprise, there was one in there! I would check first.

Make sure you use merc transmission fluid, put the wrong or cheap spec ATF in and you will have issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom