W210 abs/esp/bas/headlight fault

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archimark

Car
W210 E430
I have a 2002 W210 which has developed a strange electrical fault. Above 65mph the abs/esp/bas light blinks on and off intermittently with the usual 'visit workshop' warning. After a while it clears itself and the abs/esp/bas functions as normal as I've checked it out. Below 65mph this doesn't happen until I turn on the headlights!! The headlights come on, the abs/esp/bas lights blink on and off and then the offside zenon headlight goes out, providing me with a new warming of a failed lamp. Mercedes haven't been able to provide a conclusive answer and have suggested either a new car battery or an earthing fault in the headlight/sidelight switch......either way they want me to spend more money on investigations and I'm fed up doing that now! Mercedes don't believe I have a faulty abs sensor, which I guess is some good news. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

I would suspect the brake lamp switch for the ABS/BAS fault.

I would suggest an earthing fault...behind the lamp housing that goes out. This happened to me...the earth point was rusted off.

+1 for the earthing fault. Probably rusted enough to break away. Had the same fault on a friend's e320cdi. Once I tried to sort, it snapped off. You can drill a new hole and fit a bolt on somewhere the metal is not that rusty.

Thanks for the suggestions....looks like its a weekend in the engine bay for me!

W210 ABS/ESP/BAS and Headlight fault

Thanks for the suggestions....looks like its a weekend in the engine bay for me!
2000 S210 E55 but pre-facelift estate with exactly the same fault, was wondering if "Archimark" ever resolved this problem ?

The first time the ABS/ESP/BAS fault occurred, was on a normal Sunday afternoon drive in the Peak District, did not think much about it other that due I am quite poorly at the moment, the E55 does not get washed much as such, not even the weekly car wash. I just noticed the ABS/ESP/BAS warning while accelerating, so was thinking of a dirty ABS sensor.

Now when I turn on the dipped Xenon beam after starting the engine, straight away the ABS/ESP/BAS warning light and the faulty bulb come on.

Checked the dipped Xenon beam lights, and the off side was not working, bought a new light bulb from Halfords @ £ 59.99 and this did not resolve the problem.

Trailed through the forum, so changed the near side with the off side, and yes, the new bulb is not faulty from Halfords, the working near side old bulb does not work in the off side, and the new Halfords does in the near side.

Was now thinking of changing the ballast from side to side, to see if this is the problem, one thing I noticed, the not working light gives a second flash when I turn the light switch, but does not want to stay on.

Anybody any ideas ?

Solved with thanks

See post #3

Indeedy bob6600 it was the earth connection behind the light, as soon as touched it, it broke of, so connected it for the time being to a holder for an engine cooling hose, as I am not very mobile at the moment.

Dipped Xenon beam light works again, and I do not get any warning lights on when accelerating.

I have an expensive spare bulb now, @ least I for-fill some legal requirements when travelling abroad LOL

Pictures:

IMG_7826.JPG

IMG_7827.JPG

IMG_7828.JPG

Through the power of Google this post saved me untold hours of fruitless diagnosis.

A quick wiggle of the earth connection and it came off. 1 hour later with a shiny new earth point all the very weird symptoms were completely gone. Even a few more pixels in the dashboard temperature display reappeared!

Offside headlight working. BAS working. ABS working. Electrical System failure notice, gone. Engine cutting very briefly every 40 seconds, cured.

Result.

Sometimes the simplest and oldest solutions are those that work best.....

Excellent advice - same symptoms, same cause. My earthing stud (under the air cleaner box) had completely rusted off the member. There's a similar size hole under the headlight unit which the wires will reach easily so I cleaned off the paint to get a good contact and re-used the earthing stud and nut.

20180613_140055B.jpg
20180613_140111C.jpg
20180613_142554A.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom