W210 acting strange!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Madferrit

Car
'06 B150SE, '99 E220 CDi, A160, Ferrari Mondial and a Smartee! Now Sold: G300 LWB (sadly missed)
I've got a '99 E220 CDI.. only took delivery of the car 2 weeks ago.

So far everything is great.. filled up for the second time yesterday.. first full tank gave me over 700 miles, which is great compared to my G300... but, this morning, i start the car and the following happens.

1 - The little light on the dash when i turn the ignition just before i start (of the coil) lights up as normal. Light goes out, and i fire her up... only to have the light come back on once the engine is running. The light stays on for a few minutes before switching off.

2 - The ABS and EBS (i think) gives and error on the dash board computer. For some reason both are showing as failed and tell me to go to my dealer. The ABS warning light appears on the dashboard as does the EBS light. Any ideas what happened?

The weird thing is.. i continue to drive my car.. and think to myself that perhaps a sensor is wrong.. on a clear road i slammed the brakes. Pulled over on the side of the road and switched off the car. Gave it a minute and restarted only to find the error as mentioned in part 2, is now gone. coil light still lights up though :crazy:

Any help to spare me from madness would be appreciated.

Madferrit

The coil type light is the glow plugs. Probably at least one gone, and need looking at. I have the same thing on mine atm, waiting to do it at the next service basically because I'm short of time at the moment.

As for the ABS and ESR lights, I've had them come on a couple of times, and always go away after a restart. Not sure what it is, but the abs seems to work fine (tested only a few days ago in an emergency stop caused by an ****hole undertaking and cutting in at 90 mph then braking almost to a halt), so I've not worried about it.

-simon

The glow plug light coming on for a short time means that at least one of you glowplugs needs replacing, it's best to replace them all at the same time (about £12 each) and less than 1 hour labour

The first thing to go for regarding the ABS/EBS problem is renewing the brake light switch (about £14) a common problem giving exactly the symptoms you describe.

Thanks guys. it was the ESP BAS light and error coming up on the dash.. not the EBS like i mentioned. Last night it didn't come up at all... and this morning the error has appeared once.

Changing the brake light switch like you've mentioned, is it a DIY job or something i should get my garage to do?

Changing the switch is a job you should easily be able to do yourself, should only take minutes.

any idea of part numbers for a '99 W210.. . and where should i be looking for this switch?

Partnumber for car with tempomat is
A 001 545 31 09 else
A 001 545 01 09

Remove the panel above the pedals and you'll see it right beside the brake pedal.

Attachments

• cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 56
  • switch.jpg
    switch.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom