W210 Aircon Problem

Discussion in 'Engine' started by E55BOF, Apr 30, 2014.

1. E55BOF

E55BOF Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E500, S212 E63, XK convertible, FJR1300, Caponord, Yamaha Bulldog
    My '98 E55 has a problem with the aircon; possibly more than one. It appears that the R134a is low or gone, but: I can't seem to charge it. The red EC light is on all the time when the temp is set to Low, and pressing the EC button makes no difference. However, when I set it to Defrost, the red light goes out. The compressor clutch is not engaging at any setting.

I would have thought the red EC light would stay on even on the defrost setting if the gas was low, but I don't know that for sure. Is what I have described normal behaviour with low gas, or is there some other fault, does anyone know? Please help...

E55BOF

2. davidjpowell

davidjpowell Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Range Rover Vogue, Volvo XC60 and crappy Pug 307
    Mine did this with low gas... A top up cured it. The system needs resetting after a topup if it's timed out due to low pressure.

3. OP
    OP
    E55BOF

Car:
    Thank you for the info. Don't suppose you know how to reset it, do you? Or does it need a Star...

4. davidjpowell

davidjpowell Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Range Rover Vogue, Volvo XC60 and crappy Pug 307
    If you have the Climate Control panel you can do it from the their, with enough googling. I think if it's the normal dial panel it's a star job.

5. Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2004 S211 E55K AMG/1988 190E 2.3-16/1988 190E 2.5-16/2003 Porsche 911 3.6 Carrera 2 (345hp Powerkit)
    Could you expand on this part please?

It could be low refrigerant pressure - perhaps due to a leak, but what do you mean about being unable to charge it?

Was it vacuumed and pressure tested first?

As already said, if you have LCD climate you can diagnose through the panel itself. You may need to erase stored fault codes before it will operate even if the system pressure is restored. The compressor clutch will not engage therefore even if there is sufficient refrigerant.

Will

6. OP
    OP
    E55BOF

Car:
    Doh!! I've had a lot on my mind recently, and I'd forgotten about erasing the stored fault codes beore it would operate normally. Did that, and see, it works. What madness is this?

Fault code was 1241 - low refrigerant. It was down to just 1 bar, so there's a leak, but I had some 500gm in a top-up bottle, so put that in as a temporary measure until I can get it sorted.