W210 Ali exhaust guard fixings ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bennesspipers

MB Enthusiast
Car
'95 W202 C220 Elegance saloon & 2001 C240 V6 Sport Estate
I'm removing the aluminium exhaust guard from above the rear exhaust box on my 210 estate, how are the rivets/bolts supposed to come apart ? With them being well rusted i cant see an obvious way. Are they just a large rivet, or like a nut & bolt ? They seem very long for the small job that they do. :wallbash:

I think (the last time I looked in April) they are captive bolts and nuts. But they will be rusty and you may well have to cut them.

Hum,thanx,in that case they'd better stay where they are for now, bit too near the suspect leaking fuel tank for using the grinder ! :crazy:

Haha might have known you'd pick me up on that (texting slang) :doh:

^ you started it.:ban:

Carry on the good work officer, my mum,3 aunties,gran & uncle were all teachers, in our house a spelling mistake warranted the murder squad ! :eek:

Hi

It is an 8mm nut, best using a hex socket, the exhaust shield is aluminium and the nut steel so you will most likely find the nut has eaten away the aluminium needing bigger washers to hold it in place when your re-assembling.

Hope this helps,

Yep, that's what I did with my heat shield used larger washers.

I'm pretty sure they are called "Tee-Bolts", they have a sort of nipple that is quite soft.

Thanks 230K & ringway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom