W210 Already Prewired for CD Changer?

GregE240

Active Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2002
Messages
952
Location
Northamptonshire, UK
Car
1990 500SL
Hi folks,

Just a quick question: would my E240 be prewired in the boot for a CD changer? Its a UK car, 1998 vintage.

If it isn't, how easy would it be to wire up?

Cheers,

Greg
 

Shude

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
Messages
13,882
Location
Cheshire
Car
CLK55 AMG
it depends on whether it's a normal changer cable or an optical one (depends on changer).
 
OP
OP
G

GregE240

Active Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2002
Messages
952
Location
Northamptonshire, UK
Car
1990 500SL
Thanks Nick. Now I'm even more confused!

So....is it pre wired, and if so, what with?

I've got a Sony head unit right now, which is changer compatible.
 

fuzzer

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
Messages
7,939
Location
Glasgow
Car
F25 X3 20d SE
Even if it was prewired , it would only work with the Factory audio.

A lead should not be that hard to run to the boot for the sony changer tho.
 

Shude

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
Messages
13,882
Location
Cheshire
Car
CLK55 AMG
Originally posted by fuzzer
Even if it was prewired , it would only work with the Factory audio.
In a lot of cases the factory audio IS sony.
 
OP
OP
G

GregE240

Active Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2002
Messages
952
Location
Northamptonshire, UK
Car
1990 500SL
Yes mate, I have, but:

1) What side should it be ?

2) Where would it be located?

3) What does it look like?

So many questions....

It would have been a hell of a lot easier if MB had stuck a bloody great sticker on it that said "CD-ChangerKable" or something, believe me. I thought I'd found it last night, but my petrol gauge stopped working. Traced the cable to the tank, so its not that one...
 

Shude

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
Messages
13,882
Location
Cheshire
Car
CLK55 AMG
Originally posted by GregE240
It would have been a hell of a lot easier if MB had stuck a bloody great sticker on it that said "CD-ChangerKable" or something, believe me.
If you ask your stealership parts dept to check your VIN on their EPC it will tell them if you have a cable from the factory or not. They can also tell you which stickers you have too ;)
 

fuzzer

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
Messages
7,939
Location
Glasgow
Car
F25 X3 20d SE
Originally posted by Shude
In a lot of cases the factory audio IS sony.


No , the sonys and blaupunkts was dealer fit . The only units that come from the factory are the mercedes units.
 

Shude

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
Messages
13,882
Location
Cheshire
Car
CLK55 AMG
Originally posted by fuzzer
No , the sonys and blaupunkts was dealer fit . The only units that come from the factory are the mercedes units.
Yes but if the dealer fitted a Sony headunit and changer, there would be wiring in the car for the changer :)
 

MBenzNL

Active Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2002
Messages
299
Location
the Netherlands
Car
1993 C250D - 612+k kilometer
Greg,

Í didn't realize you wer from the UK when I replied your mail...euro spec cars are not prewired...not for anything...

greetingz,
 
OP
OP
G

GregE240

Active Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2002
Messages
952
Location
Northamptonshire, UK
Car
1990 500SL
Originally posted by MBenzNL
Greg,

Í didn't realize you wer from the UK when I replied your mail...euro spec cars are not prewired...not for anything...

greetingz,
B***er!

:mad:

OK, change of slant then chaps: how easy would it be to run in a cable from the back of my Sony CD player to an autochanger in the boot? Is there a recommended route, so to speak?
 

fuzzer

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
Messages
7,939
Location
Glasgow
Car
F25 X3 20d SE
Ill have a look at my W210 when i get home.

Does anyone know how to get through the rear firewall and into the boot? Is there a smiliar gromet type thing like the front?
 

mapleleaf

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Dec 4, 2002
Messages
1,694
Location
Manchester
Car
2018 Gle 43 AMG Night - replaced previous 2015 E63 AMG
Originally posted by fuzzer
Ill have a look at my W210 when i get home.

Does anyone know how to get through the rear firewall and into the boot? Is there a smiliar gromet type thing like the front?

What firewall?? theres a bl**dy great hole from the boot over the nearside wheel arch which lets you into the rear cabin at the side of the seatback! There are losts of cables passing thru here. on my 1999 W210

The route I took was to run from the nearside boot, the (designated place for the CD changer) over the wheel arch which runs down into the rear sill along the front sill round the edge of the passenger footwell behond the carpet that joint sthe centre console to the dash & bingo up yu pop behind the head unit. means taking of a lot of trim and I sometimes pop out the rear seat as well - makes removing the trim up the side of the seat back easier.

:bannana:

steve
 

fuzzer

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
Messages
7,939
Location
Glasgow
Car
F25 X3 20d SE
Originally posted by steve_bcs
What firewall?? theres a bl**dy great hole from the boot over the nearside wheel arch which lets you into the rear cabin at the side of the seatback! There are losts of cables passing thru here. on my 1999 W210

The route I took was to run from the nearside boot, the (designated place for the CD changer) over the wheel arch which runs down into the rear sill along the front sill round the edge of the passenger footwell behond the carpet that joint sthe centre console to the dash & bingo up yu pop behind the head unit. means taking of a lot of trim and I sometimes pop out the rear seat as well - makes removing the trim up the side of the seat back easier.

:bannana:

steve

Ive got computers on the brain dude .. ignore my mis naming ..:)
 

mapleleaf

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Dec 4, 2002
Messages
1,694
Location
Manchester
Car
2018 Gle 43 AMG Night - replaced previous 2015 E63 AMG
I know what you mean fuzzer

I 've just had 2 days of fun trying to set up a vpn from my laptop using awireless router /firewall into my office router/firewall....

a not a grommet to be seen anywhere :)
 

fuzzer

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
Messages
7,939
Location
Glasgow
Car
F25 X3 20d SE
see , you got to think og the ports as grommets and firewalls as endcaps and then it will all be simple ... hehe:bannana:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom