W210 Already Prewired for CD Changer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GregE240

Car
1990 500SL
Hi folks,

Just a quick question: would my E240 be prewired in the boot for a CD changer? Its a UK car, 1998 vintage.

If it isn't, how easy would it be to wire up?

Cheers,

Greg

it depends on whether it's a normal changer cable or an optical one (depends on changer).

Thanks Nick. Now I'm even more confused!

So....is it pre wired, and if so, what with?

I've got a Sony head unit right now, which is changer compatible.

Even if it was prewired , it would only work with the Factory audio.

A lead should not be that hard to run to the boot for the sony changer tho.

Originally posted by fuzzer
Even if it was prewired , it would only work with the Factory audio.
In a lot of cases the factory audio IS sony.

Yes mate, I have, but:

1) What side should it be ?

2) Where would it be located?

3) What does it look like?

So many questions....

It would have been a hell of a lot easier if MB had stuck a bloody great sticker on it that said "CD-ChangerKable" or something, believe me. I thought I'd found it last night, but my petrol gauge stopped working. Traced the cable to the tank, so its not that one...

Originally posted by GregE240
It would have been a hell of a lot easier if MB had stuck a bloody great sticker on it that said "CD-ChangerKable" or something, believe me.
If you ask your stealership parts dept to check your VIN on their EPC it will tell them if you have a cable from the factory or not. They can also tell you which stickers you have too ;)

Originally posted by Shude
In a lot of cases the factory audio IS sony.

No , the sonys and blaupunkts was dealer fit . The only units that come from the factory are the mercedes units.

No , the sonys and blaupunkts was dealer fit . The only units that come from the factory are the mercedes units.
Yes but if the dealer fitted a Sony headunit and changer, there would be wiring in the car for the changer :)

Greg,

Í didn't realize you wer from the UK when I replied your mail...euro spec cars are not prewired...not for anything...

greetingz,

Originally posted by MBenzNL
Greg,

Í didn't realize you wer from the UK when I replied your mail...euro spec cars are not prewired...not for anything...

greetingz,
B***er!

:mad:

OK, change of slant then chaps: how easy would it be to run in a cable from the back of my Sony CD player to an autochanger in the boot? Is there a recommended route, so to speak?

Ill have a look at my W210 when i get home.

Does anyone know how to get through the rear firewall and into the boot? Is there a smiliar gromet type thing like the front?

Ill have a look at my W210 when i get home.

Does anyone know how to get through the rear firewall and into the boot? Is there a smiliar gromet type thing like the front?

What firewall?? theres a bl**dy great hole from the boot over the nearside wheel arch which lets you into the rear cabin at the side of the seatback! There are losts of cables passing thru here. on my 1999 W210

The route I took was to run from the nearside boot, the (designated place for the CD changer) over the wheel arch which runs down into the rear sill along the front sill round the edge of the passenger footwell behond the carpet that joint sthe centre console to the dash & bingo up yu pop behind the head unit. means taking of a lot of trim and I sometimes pop out the rear seat as well - makes removing the trim up the side of the seat back easier.

:bannana:

steve

Originally posted by steve_bcs
What firewall?? theres a bl**dy great hole from the boot over the nearside wheel arch which lets you into the rear cabin at the side of the seatback! There are losts of cables passing thru here. on my 1999 W210

The route I took was to run from the nearside boot, the (designated place for the CD changer) over the wheel arch which runs down into the rear sill along the front sill round the edge of the passenger footwell behond the carpet that joint sthe centre console to the dash & bingo up yu pop behind the head unit. means taking of a lot of trim and I sometimes pop out the rear seat as well - makes removing the trim up the side of the seat back easier.

:bannana:

steve

Ive got computers on the brain dude .. ignore my mis naming ..:)

I know what you mean fuzzer

I 've just had 2 days of fun trying to set up a vpn from my laptop using awireless router /firewall into my office router/firewall....

a not a grommet to be seen anywhere :)

see , you got to think og the ports as grommets and firewalls as endcaps and then it will all be simple ... hehe:bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom