W210 alternator

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cymraeg

Car
W210 e320 cdi
Well chaps and chapesses had the joy of swapping the alternator out today due to it doing whatever bad things alternators do to them selves.

Easy hour or 2 says I. Car says oh no sir I'm much to specially and have a fancy water cooled jobby that will take hours upon hours of your attention and skin and your best swear words.

So after phoning merc and finding they want 900 beer tokens just for the unit, fuq dat says I and find a recon one with 12 months warranty for 116 beer tokens and free next day delivery.

To some up the procedure if anyone else is feeling dull enough is

Disconnect battery
Drop under tray and drain coolant
Disassemble air box ducting and water pipes in the turbo area so you can access all bolts.
Undo bolt under cylinder head to the water pipe from the alternator.
Undo alternator and pull it out from underneath and rear.
Water pipe just pulls off.
To get to the belt tensions if you can't remove the fan a 17mm spanner from underneath is easiest.

When coming to reassembly connect the water pipe to the alternator and head before bolting lithe alternator back on. (Ask me how I know)

Also the o rings on the pipe. Change them. They are 3 squid each from dealer. I didn't and when I refilled the coolant it ****** all back out again.

Hope this helps

Ok a bit of a conundrum know. Since doing the alternator she won't rev passed 3000 rpm and feels sluggish or no boost.

Any ideas? Tried disconnecting the battery again for 20 mins and turning the steering wheel lock to lock but no joy.

No missfires or Berliners just really blinking slow

It is limping and unfortunately without a code read it is all guess work.

Ok cheers for the reply. Do you know a ball park figure for a diagnostic run at a stealers?

Anywhere from half an hour to an hour's labour.

Do you not have any garage with a decent code reader near you? Or Merc independant?

At a guess, you have a boost leak from not replacing the air pipes properly.

Have a read of this thread

https://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/144927-lack-power-cdi-what-do.html

Then also check you haven't disturbed any of the air flow pipes and also that the turbo actuator and flap motor move when you blip the throttle.

Ok guys just an update if it helps anyone else. Managed to get under her today and the main intercooler to turbo pipe connection was loose. So fixed back up bit no difference.

So while scratching my nogging and getting ready to fix components a la Clarkson with a big hammer noticed near the vacuum sensor box gubbins was a thin white wire/tube with a slightly thicker bit of black tubing on the end of it.

Stuck fingers under the vacuum sensor box thingy and felt what was like a nozzle. So can't hurt sez I and plugged it on.

Now she goes like the enterprise again and once more I'm in love with this old barge.

Cheers for all the help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom