W210 Bonnet Refusing To Lock Shut.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mercious

Car
E320 CDI Auto Estate
My car is a year 2000 (V plate) W210 E320 CDI estate.

The bonnet release catch and cable appear fine and operate the catches on the front body panel. The hydraulic struts are fine and the 'male' catches on the bonnet are lined up correctly.

The four adjustable bonnet stops aren't fouling anything and the whole bonnet is clear of obstructions.

The bonnet release pull tab works correctly. Nothing seems broken. I've tried the catches with a flat-bladed screwdriver and they move freely. The associated springs aren't damaged.

If I use the screwdriver to push on the catches on the front body panel they don't click down (should they?) they just depress and come back up.

I took a 'male' catch of the underside of the bonnet and tried it in it's 'female' counterpart but it isn't held. I can just push down the catch and it flips back up.

I'm baffled.

Can anyone suggest what might have gone wrong?

I had the bonnet up last weekend and itr closed fine. yesterday I set off home and the bonnet was bobbing about and refusing to lock down in place.

Yes. The catch has two parts to it. One of them is not coming back fully. Just tap it lightly with a hammer and the bonnet will shut properly.

Its difficult to describe over the internet!

I've tapped both offside and nearside locking mechanisms and they are free. I greased them up well and adjusted the 'pins' on the underside of the bonnet by loosening them, greasing them and using paper kitchen towel over the catches to see the pins sit correctly by the imprint on the paper kitchen towels.

Still no joy. Both sides don't click down on the pins so there is a two inch gap for play associated with the central catch.

I'll just have to drive slowly. I don't think the bonnet will fly up.

I even took the catch mechanisms out to see the cable is still fitted and it seems alright. Not frayed.

It seems strange that both would go at the same time. It must be the cable.

But all seems fine from within the car and the red lever has no play in it and operates the small release part of the catches.

I can't get my head round it.

I can't work out the car, let alone my iPhone.

But anyway, there's no mobile signal out here. First the car plays up and now the landline is down (but internet still working). With no mobile phone signal and no landline and a dodgy car it gets more like The Wicker Man out here every day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom