W210 boot locked and won't open

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanSpencer

Car
W210
Hi everyone,
Over the weekend I was fitting reversing sensors to my W210 (1999 E240) which involved removing all the trim from the boot (carpet and the black plastic around the boot lip) in order to mount the "control unit"
Once the sensors had been tested I put all the trim back and shut the boot, thinking it was "job well done"
However, I now can no longer open the boot :(
I have tried using the "blipper", and the release button by the gear selector. I have also tried using the mechanical key which refuses to turn in either direction (even after a good squirt of WD40 into the lock). All the other central locking is working fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I resort to having the lock drilled out and replaced (which feels like it will be expensive :( )

Does the car have an internal boot release button?

This is one solution.

Do you have the rear seat backrest unlocked?
You can go through the rear door, fold down the backrest, and unscrew latches which holds the boot locked.
You have to pull off small plastic covers to unscrew nuts.

Don't forget the flashlight, it's dark inside

saloon? Under rear seat are yellow air lines, check which are going rear, huffing and puffing (ok, use compressor) will release pneumatic lock.

Or something like a rag has caught on the latch....

If all else fails , before you drill out the lock ( which will be expensive to replace with one to match your keys - only available from the dealer ) your best last resort would be to source a secondhand tail light complete unit , then smash one of yours in to gain access into the boot - this will be cheaper than a new lock .

I'd keep at it with un-seizing the mechanical lock. You'll need it to work properly sometime hence.
Yes , I’d flush it out with penetrating oil , something like Plus Gas , keep trying to jiggle the key . Once cleaned out , I’d blow through compressed air , then lubricate with proper graphite lock lubricant.

But if all that fails , breaking in through one of the tail light clusters is the next best way since the unit can be cheaply replaced . Cheaper to fix than a new lock and potentially damaged bootlid .

Don't forget to buy the plastic cap for lock keeping crap away.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

As mersum1 says

Have used this a few times...and it worked

Be gentle when pulling the hoses out.. you don't want to snap the grey connectors

Gents I need some help. I have just purchased a 2003 W208 shape CLK 230 convertible. It is a project and I would want it ready for summer. The car came with no battery and the boot was not shutting amongst other issues. Also there is only 1 key fob and the keyblade is missing. I need help with the boot lock issue. I have removed the lock and can tell that the mechanism is working and the vacuum pump is pushing it too but not far enough for the latch to unlock. See the photos attached for info only - the actuator fob is extending but not far enough to push the white plastic bit to unlock. I am not sure whether the actuator fob is supposed to extend any further than it is extending already.
Any suggestion would be very helpful.

PS- Sorry I am new here and I cant seem to start a new thread.

Attachments

• CLK.jpg
    CLK.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I had three W210s.
Never had any problem with the boot-lock not operating from the button.
But - I found that trying to use the key was difficult on all three cars, as the key wouldn't turn.
The weather appears to get in and they seize up.
Persevere with penetrating oil.
WD40 is not a particularly good penetrating oil.
It was designed as a moisture-dispersant … although it does have penetrating properties.
I use Unilease - I'm not sure that it's still available.
Plus Gas is good.
Two or three applications and time will free your lock - - - - - eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom