W210 broken heat shield

GSD

Car
01 W210 E240 Avantgarde
Hi everyone,

The heat shield for the exhaust on my car seems to have broken off most its mounting points and now I have this annoying rattle that comes from the back :wallbash:

After doing a search on the forum I found that larger penny washers should do the trick but I am confused as to which type of washer to get as the washer itself will need something below it to keep it from falling off the mounting point. I’m guessing a nut will not work as the mounting point does not have any thread so is there a special type of washer that I can get hold of or should I be using something else??

Thanks in advance ;)

balge

Car
Mercedes-Benz W124

Usuf_x

Car
E240 Avantagarde Estate
mine was rattling last week and was getting annoying but one day it stop and noticed i had no heat shield lol

Tinkerer

Car
W210 E220 CDi
Sounds to me like there may be some confusion as to where the mounting points are, if it is a heat shield then I would doubt that it was fixed to the exhaust or the exhaust mountings and you may have to drop the exhaust to see the mountings which may be on the car bodywork. Otherwise I would totally agree with the comment earlier about penny washers.

balge

Car
Mercedes-Benz W124
Aye, I was assuming it was like the one on W124, actually screws to the floor-pan?

cheers!

ShinyF1

MB Enthusiast
Car
2012 Audi S5 Cab, 2000 E320 CDI Estate [now gone] , 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible
I had the same problem. The pipe on my 320 CDi was not very hot so i ripped the rest of the heatshield off. Problem solved

OP
OP
GSD

GSD

Car
01 W210 E240 Avantgarde
A 'penny washer' or repair washer is a type of washer with a large outside diameter but a small hole - if the hole in the heat-shield is oversize or broken, you can trap the heat-shield under the larger diameter of the washer whilst still using the original screw to fix it (because of the small hole in the washer).
Like these - Washers Repair (Penny Washer) MILD STEEL, Metric & Imperial Flat Washer Sizes : Fastfix Direct : Tools Fasteners and Fixings

cheers!

Thanks for that will get hold of some washers and some new clips/screws to secure the washers :thumb:

Tinkerer

Car
W210 E220 CDi
Don't think I have ever had the pleasure of one of those ........ but then I do remember ........... sensored!

rascalmaster

MB Enthusiast
Car
Brabus D5 (E280 CDI) Avantgarde, E280 CDI Sport Estate, E320 Avantgarde now sold
liar liar pants on fire... your log in name is a bit of a giveaway lol

Noneleft

Car
2000 e280 Estate
screw or bolt?

Hey guys,

This is exactly my problem, 2000 e280 petrol estate.

My exhaust heat shield is loose - so following advise here I look and yep, the 'hole' has widened itself - cool I think, I'll just slap on a washer or two and bob's your uncle... except, I can't workout the bolt size - as mine were missing... and then I read that it is a screw...., which if it is, means I've lost the head of it so to speak.

So before I apply some muscle and forcible unscrew it from the floor plan I thought I had better check! Are they screws or bolts?

toolman1954

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2006 320 CDI Avantgarde ..2003 320 CDI Avantgarde, 1997 312d Sprinter
Hi, I recently had to make the same repair myself on my 300TD. The fixings are a weird beast, shaped like a top hat with a self tap type thread. If I remember correctly they are 8 mm and I had to deftly use Mole grips because they were badly corroded. They screw onto 4 protruding self tap screws. Part number is MA 210 990 01 50 Hexagon nut @ £1-45 each is what it says on the invoice. As you will end up doing, I just used 4 big washers and the new nuts to make a satisfactory repair, and no more rattle from the back end. Regards.

Milksey

Car
W 210 320 CDI Brabus Tuned 1999 - C 125 SEC 500 1989 - Range Rover Sport
I’m sorry to post on an old thread, I hope someone may find this solution helpful. I couldn’t get the old nuts off of the bolts so I left the lot on intact and pushed star lock washers on, worked a treat.

Reactions: 219

Eddy77

SUPPORTER
Car
2008 CLK 350 Sport Cab, 2019 Audi A6 Avant 40 TDi S-Line
Did mine last summer. You need a pack of these as there is no way you can screw or bolt anything on an older car. As long as there is some kind of thread or stump protruding through the hole, these clips will grip on and hold it in place.

Petrol Pete

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon
I’m sorry to post on an old thread, I hope someone may find this solution helpful. I couldn’t get the old nuts off of the bolts so I left the lot on intact and pushed star lock washers on, worked a treat.
Hi , welcome along. No need to apologise for resurrecting an old thread , it happens all the time on here :). To be honest I think you might have broken the record on your first post , 7 years and (almost) 3 months ! :p.

johnsco

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E280CDI SPORTS ESTATE and C200 KOMPRESSOR SE Coupe (1.8 lit petrol)
I had two E300TDs and had this problem with both.
I removed the heat shields and binned them.
One side of the boot got quite warm (Not too warm !), so I just remembered to put my frozen shopping items on the other side.
It never caused me any problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom