W210 CDI - ancillary belt frayed?

Discussion in 'Engine' started by gkmotorsport, Apr 2, 2014.

1. gkmotorsport

gkmotorsport New Member

Car:
    Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI
    Hi all,

A couple of days ago, my E320 CDI complained that it had no washer fluid. Yesterday, on a motorway drive, I suddenly heard a ticking noise from under the bonnet, almost like the sound of small stones hitting the wheel arch.

My wife drove the car today and noticed that it was worse. I looked under the bonnet with the engine running, and it looks like the belt at the front of the engine (I think it's the ancillary belt or something?) is frayed, and a loose bit is thwacking against a piece of plastic. It also seems to have ripped a small yellow hose near the washer tank clean in half, which I guess explains the warning!

I'm not a mechanic by any means, but am I right in thinking this isn't the cam belt because these engines use a chain? If so, is this a difficult and/or expensive replacement job? Should I keep the car parked until it is sorted?

2. panason1c

panason1c Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ML270cdi, VW Polo 1.9 tdi, BMW K1200rs
    Yes, the engine uses a chain, the belt you see drives the power steering pump, alternator, water pump and a/c compressor. Its not a difficult job to replace it.

From your description of the condition of the belt...DONT drive it.

3. OP
    OP
    gkmotorsport

gkmotorsport New Member

Car:
    Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI
    Ok, thanks for the super-quick reply. It's well beyond my capabilities, so I'll phone around some garages to see who will charge the least.