W210 CDI - ancillary belt frayed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gkmotorsport

Car
Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI
Hi all,

A couple of days ago, my E320 CDI complained that it had no washer fluid. Yesterday, on a motorway drive, I suddenly heard a ticking noise from under the bonnet, almost like the sound of small stones hitting the wheel arch.

My wife drove the car today and noticed that it was worse. I looked under the bonnet with the engine running, and it looks like the belt at the front of the engine (I think it's the ancillary belt or something?) is frayed, and a loose bit is thwacking against a piece of plastic. It also seems to have ripped a small yellow hose near the washer tank clean in half, which I guess explains the warning!

I'm not a mechanic by any means, but am I right in thinking this isn't the cam belt because these engines use a chain? If so, is this a difficult and/or expensive replacement job? Should I keep the car parked until it is sorted?

Yes, the engine uses a chain, the belt you see drives the power steering pump, alternator, water pump and a/c compressor. Its not a difficult job to replace it.

From your description of the condition of the belt...DONT drive it.

Ok, thanks for the super-quick reply. It's well beyond my capabilities, so I'll phone around some garages to see who will charge the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom