W210 Corrosion..... Same old...!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BimMerc

Hi all!

A friend of mine has owned a W210 E-Class (99') for a couple of years now. It was a one owner car, FSH (all Mercedes Benz)He has since had it serviced in the time he has owned it at Mercedes too.

Its starting to rust pretty badly in some spots. From what I have read on the forum, can somebody please confirm if:

1. It will have the corrosion warranty as it is a post November 1998 car

2. If the milage matters? Its done 130k , but always main dealer serviced

I hope somebody can help :) Thanks all!

Last edited:
BimMerc said:
Hi all!

A friend of mine has owned a W210 E-Class (99') for a couple of years now. It was a one owner car, FSH (all Mercedes Benz)He has since had it serviced in the time he has owned it at Mercedes too.

Its starting to rust pretty badly in some spots. From what I have read on the forum, can somebody please confirm if:

1. It will have the corrosion warranty as it is a post November 1998 car

2. If the milage matters? Its done 130k , but always main dealer serviced

I hope somebody can help :) Thanks all!

The honest answer I believe is that it is irrelevant what advice you get here the bottom line is what the dealership tells your friend.

I have always disagreed with Dieselman over this issue.

Your friends service document will outline the terms and conditions of the Mobilio warranty. If the owner does not like the conditions then it is there choice not to comply. However, once they opt out, they must accept the consequences. What other car manufacturer offers a lifetime warranty? Do Rolls Royce, Bentley, Ferrari, Aston Martin or BMW? Why expect not to have conditions laid down?

Having said my little rant there have been a number of cases where Mercedes-Benz have allowed claims purely as a good-will gesture, but as more claims are being made I can see the manufacturer becoming more strict.

I wish your friend luck with his claim and hope it gets resolved to their satisfaction.

Regards,
John

glojo said:
The honest answer I believe is that it is irrelevant what advice you get here the bottom line is what the dealership tells your friend.

I have always disagreed with Dieselman over this issue.

Your friends service document will outline the terms and conditions of the Mobilio warranty. If the owner does not like the conditions then it is there choice not to comply. However, once they opt out, they must accept the consequences. What other car manufacturer offers a lifetime warranty? Do Rolls Royce, Bentley, Ferrari, Aston Martin or BMW? Why expect not to have conditions laid down?

Having said my little rant there have been a number of cases where Mercedes-Benz have allowed claims purely as a good-will gesture, but as more claims are being made I can see the manufacturer becoming more strict.

I wish your friend luck with his claim and hope it gets resolved to their satisfaction.

Regards,
John

Dont mean to be rude John, but I think your answer is the only thing thats irrelevant. This forum is for us all to help each other, its to work collectively to get results. The dealerships do not always tell the truth, and in some cases don't even listen to what you are saying. I am not talking about conditions, I know the main conditions are FSH by MB. It was simply to confirm, and to look for pointers. This forum have been brilliant in providing information, and if precedent can be used, then I would provide this information to the dealership to show where in similar cases work has been carried out by Mercedes.

Whilstr I think you for your well wishes, I would prefer it if your dislike or otherwise for Dieselman was not imposed on my post.

Mercedes can become more strict if they want, but if the criteria has been met then I would like as much proof of that as possible so as to state the case in the correct manner, rather then going there being ill-informed and essentially being fobbed off.

Thank you

ps. I like your car :)

Last edited:
BimMerc said:
Mercedes can become more strict if they want, but if the criteria has been met then I would like as much proof of that as possible so as to state the case in the correct manner, rather then going there being ill-informed and essentially being fobbed off.

I apologise for any offence I have caused. My post mentioned that claims have been met, but purely as goodwill gestures.

I have the very greatest of respect for Dieselman and we frequently disagree but that is surely what forums are about. (debate)

I did not realise that you were fully aware of the terms and conditions? Sorry again.

John

No offence taken, and no need to apologize :)

It was really just getting things into context, I understand the Mobilo kicked in Sept 98, so all being well they should honour it as its always been serviced by MB and has been done within the last two years. Surely its not a matter of goodwill, but more of them having do what they said they would and ensure these repairs are met fully and comprehensively. :)

I must be cracking up. :eek: :eek: When I read your first post I could have swore you mentioned thast the vehicle has NOT always been serviced by a main dealer?

I have the opt out of blaming my medication, but now I must apologise AGAIN???

Dieselman as usual is 100% correct in his answer. Do NOT let them try to rub down and take out the rust. Do not let them opt out of their obligations.

Bye for now,
John

glojo said:
What other car manufacturer offers a lifetime warranty? Do Rolls Royce, Bentley, Ferrari, Aston Martin or BMW?

John
I think there must be a typo in your comment.

You obviously meant to say

"What other car manufacturer NEEDS a lifetime warranty?"

Answer:

No-one as their cars don't rust.

BimMerc said:
2. If the milage matters? Its done 130k

Hi

Just think how many miles could be on the car if it was 29 years old?

230K said:
Hi

Just think how many miles could be on the car if it was 29 years old?

Good call! thats true, if it was 29 yrs old, it would have even on average, around 290 - 350 k miles.

interesting thought!

Dieselman said:
John
I think there must be a typo in your comment.

You obviously meant to say

"What other car manufacturer NEEDS a lifetime warranty?"

Answer:

No-one as their cars don't rust.

I've seen Rolls Royce that are absolute rust buckets, some Volvo's, must confess to not giving BMW's the once over. Ferrari's paintwork is non existant, but do owners take them out in winter conditions? ;) ;) (My attempt at humour)

I cannot and will not even attempt to try to defend the 210 series corrosion problems, but I will defend the thirty year warranty (even though it must be rust coming from the inside, to the outter side). :)

I feel another telling off coming my way :eek:

Take care and on with the banter,
John

Had lots of prestige cars now and in the past, and the Mercs have been the rustiest we have had. Having said that the W124 we had was SOLID!

I wish your friend good luck with this issue.
I have been waiting nearly 6 months for mine to be sorted and, so far, they have only approved 5 out of the 11 claims on my car.
Why don't they put it all through at once????????? :confused:

Maybe a defection to the dark side coming up :rolleyes:

GRAV888 said:
Maybe a defection to the dark side coming up :rolleyes:

Dark side or butt plain ugly side?? :) ;)

Have you read the link to the Audi TT? Ouch!

John

glojo said:
Dark side or butt plain ugly side?? :) ;)

Have you read the link to the Audi TT? Ouch!

John

Yeah, read that one John.
Was thinking of an M5 or going back to Porsches.
The best one I ever had was a 1968 911.
Porsche+002.jpg

porsche+003.jpg

Last edited:
GRAV888 said:
Yeah, read that one John.
Was thinking of an M5 or going back to Porsches.
The best one I ever had was a 1968 911.

Certainly a nice looking car.

Good luck with your decision.

Regards,
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom